Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Gen 1 Spark Black and HP4 Competition.
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd let you see what I've done in 5 weeks since buying this tired 2 Owner 16,500mls Black 04. This is my second one the last was mint and I wished I'd never got rid of, however I traded her in for my HP4 Competition in 2015 which i still have.

On the surface the bike looked fine, paid, stuck in the back of a van and drove home, immediately got her up n the ramp and started doing the usual things. Was way more tired than I first noticed, it was also covered in grime and cobwebs which was one of the appeals strangely (barn find lol), this guy loved chain grease, it was everywhere man..1/2 thick at the sprocket and inner casings !

So far.. I've spent a fair bit.
  1. Power Bronze Carbon Hugger.
  2. DID chain and Talon Sprockets.
  3. DID Chain tool.
  4. Harris front stand.
  5. Refurbished rear rim.
  6. New bearings and seals two sets for both axles.
  7. Set of captive spacers.
  8. Stainless fairing fixing kit.
  9. Overhauled rear caliper, seals and EBC Double H pads
  10. New Cush Drives.
  11. Pair of Michelin Power 5s
  12. Set of Iridium plugs (mammoth job made easier with the post on here)
  13. Air and oil filter plus 10/40 Motul
  14. Set of adjustable footrests from Omnia racing in Italy and Brembo pressure switch.
  15. 320 mil Brembo discs with extension upgrade kit
  16. Ferodo Double H Pads
  17. Sidestand overhaul kit
  18. Multiple orders to Cradely Kawasaki in England for OE rubbers, and assorted fittings.
  19. Probolt assorted fixings
  20. Front R1 complete caliper overhaul kit.
  21. Belly pan, nose cone and fender sent for painting.
  22. New front rim off EB
  23. S/H second rear rim off EB already dipped, stripped and painted.
  24. Just about to pull the pin on an end can, undecided what to go for.
  25. Set of Dark front indicators.
  26. Drain and replaced coolant.
  27. Cleaned thoroughly as I went.
  28. Painted inside of swing arm.
Still to do.. Oil and Filter, Front Caliper overhaul, new front rim, discs and tyre fitted, replace panels when they return and considering a shorter can.

Although this is for occasional track use I'm keeping her in road trim as I would hate the bike to lay redundant most of the year, I am in North Scotland so track time will have to arranged well in advance. Our roads are sensational bit we have to travel into England to have a selection of tracks.

I'll post up pics via my phone as it's way easier.

Stuart

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol.. cheers man....yea that was torqued up and split pin snipped clean last week.. the whole thing is a work in progress... Never realised the R1 calipers are different size pistons, lead piston is smaller, never bothered to open the seal kit before whipping off the calipers there...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tail tidy and micro indicators fitted today, new Ti can and link pipe, 320 discs, calipers and new rim and tyre now installed. Showed my youngest how to replace the seals, pistons pads and retaining kit... she done the second on her own with very little intervention from me..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Calipers look great.

My eyes watered a little when I saw you replaced the Arata muffler though.

Beautiful muffler, but I’m also digging the new shorty can.

Please keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers mte...I hate long cans, it's over half a metre long and I still have the original too, will hang on to that Arata their really expensive. I never thought of changing the fuel filter when I had the tank off, browsing online and comments on here got me thinking.... Kawa dont list on the fiche, Cradely in England confirmed that, so went hunting for the Suzi one which is the same filter... it's 70 fucking quid for a shitty an aquarium net job!. I managed to get a pattern for 17 quid off EB..I'll stick some pics up when I pull the tank off tomorrow and strip out the pump, should get filter in a day or so, I'll change the seal too. Shes almost complete just waiting on my panels coming back from the painter and I'm sending that Penske rear down to Penske in England for a service...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cheers mte...I hate long cans, it's over half a metre long and I still have the original too, will hang on to that Arata their really expensive. I never thought of changing the fuel filter when I had the tank off, browsing online and comments on here got me thinking.... Kawa dont list on the fiche, Cradely in England confirmed that, so went hunting for the Suzi one which is the same filter... it's 70 fucking quid for a shitty an aquarium net job!. I managed to get a pattern for 17 quid off EB..I'll stick some pics up when I pull the tank off tomorrow and strip out the pump, should get filter in a day or so, I'll change the seal too. Shes almost complete just waiting on my panels coming back from the painter and I'm sending that Penske rear down to Penske in England for a service...

Just did the fuel filter on mine, cleaned the inside of the tank, the fuel pump as best I could, and then replaced the filter. Got mine off eBay for $9. I didn’t want to pay $40-$60 for the Suzuki one. It was nasty, I couldn’t believe how much junk was in the tank.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
781 Posts
Damn dude that shit looks clean, looks like the front fork needs to be polished and re nitride coated though but maybe it's just dirty. You had her apart and put a paper air filter back in her? Why? 60 bucks for a k&n filter and she will breath better, did you do the cams? Velocity stacks? I miss my gen 1 something crazy but don't think I could ever go back after owning 3 gen 5s

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Damn dude that shit looks clean, looks like the front fork needs to be polished and re nitride coated though but maybe it's just dirty. You had her apart and put a paper air filter back in her? Why? 60 bucks for a k&n filter and she will breath better, did you do the cams? Velocity stacks? I miss my gen 1 something crazy but don't think I could ever go back after owning 3 gen 5s
Yea it does need recoated, it feels super smooth though and no leaks, like with the paper filter I'll get it out on the road and see where I'm at first....I've ridden it 10 yards since I bought it from some Geezer in London !..

Haven't done Cams or the Stacks either... I've spent a right good few quid so far so need to consider that..plus an overhaul of that Penske is roughly £400.00... all in all not much change out of £1750 by the time I'm done..the bike was £3750...I could have bought a garage queen for less .

It's not my main machine anyhow, but she'll be a totally capable road/track ride all set up nicely..

Not forgetting I done in the best part of a grand and a half in December/January on my HP4.. new discs, pistons seals, pads, final drive kit, set of tyres, carbon chain guard and dealer service... she looks good for 34000 miles.. I really need to get a grip on my spend..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love it man! Keep these Gen 1's alive!! And very cool that your daughter likes working on the bike!
Totally man.. Gen 1s are total weapons straight out the box never mind with any upgrades...I thought I'd get her doing something as shes bored being locked in...showed her how to mount the calipers and use a torque wrench...zeroed it and handed it over, gave her the value and she got it 1st time lol.. shes a cool wee thing..

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
781 Posts
Was that metal in the fuel filter? Crazy and yeah I get spending money on these bikes trust me on that. I am always shopping and upgrading shit thats why with my current one I just bought everything all at once to save time. Didn't bother to price shop much either but normally do. My gen 1 I had almost 20k into it when I finally let her go. Was way too much since I bought her in perfect condition with 5k miles for 5k 3 years prior

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was various particles, no doubt some very small pieces of metal, that was nothing compared to one of the lads SV650 filter off the UK BMW forum....he races it.. now that's why theres a filter in the tank lol.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Totally get why you decided on another gen 1, probably the most rewarding and exciting bike I ever owned and like you I often wish I'd kept mine. The one good thing is you are unlikely to lose money if you ever decide to sell, these gen 1's are fast becoming a desirable classic to own :cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Totally get why you decided on another gen 1, probably the most rewarding and exciting bike I ever owned and like you I often wish I'd kept mine. The one good thing is you are unlikely to lose money if you ever decide to sell, these gen 1's are fast becoming a desirable classic to own :cool:
Agree entirely, a lad had a mint one advertised not far from me for £5500.00.. ...almost 7k US.. conversely I reckon on a good day my HP4 Competition, full history 2 owner is worth max £10k

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fuel filter fitted, waiting on various items arriving.

Filter was pattern and 1/4 the price of Suzuki part, felt and looked the real deal..I presume the fiche doesn't show the part due to a forever service life ?.. even at that, what lasts forever ? (death and taxes spring to mind)..but it is strange.

Stripping pump out and installing filter was very straightforward aided as always by photographs which always come in handy..new O ring should be delivered today...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts