Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running 190/50 with SAG set around 30mm on rear. Will be using a 190/55 soon and wondering whether I need to lower the rear or front to compensate. Can I simply increase the SAG number to get rear lower?

Do you think I need to re-check SAG numbers and adjust rebound/compression or leave as is? Just thinking with more pressure on front due to rear being higher.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,020 Posts
There are some REALLY sharp suspension guys here like LDH. I'm not. Lol. I would say though that I don't think going to a 55 would effect sag. Geometry change yes. Maybe change the fork height. But I could be speaking out of turn.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
its about ride height that small a change in a tire should have very little effect on how the bike handles.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
A taller tire will affect the ride height some and with that the weight bias of the bike so checking the sag won't hurt, but you will not deviate from the 30mm that you are already using, you will simply reset the sag to get the correct number. Along those lines sag needs to be set on flat level ground with the rider sitting in a natural riding position. These guys that set sag in a wheel chock or stand are getting false readings.

A taller tire may also affect the geometry as well, but the only way to figure out if the affect is beneficial or negative is to ride the bike with the new tire and make a determination. In most cases the profile of a 190/55 is so much better than a 190/50 that it is already going to be better handling all around. You gotta try it though. Don't just start making geometry adjustments because you think you need to, wait until you have a specific reason.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,664 Posts
Sag is the spring's neutral position for the suspension in the riding configuration. That doesn't change for tire size and SHOULD NOT be used to set ride height. So, no.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts