Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've decided to take the Gen I and make it a track only bike, I'll probably buy a Harley for the street as I only seem to really enjoy the sport bike when I'm at the track. So I bought a few goodies and some of it showed up today.

Ohlins rear, Brembo 19x18 master, Brembo M4's, Dynojet Quickshifter, and Hotbodies race plastics to start the transformation.

The canvas is a 2004 10R with a bit over 12,000 miles on it. Will be doing Grattan Aug 24-25, hopefully I'll see some of you folks out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
we will be there. just got the 636 back last night from rebuilding the transmission. ready to have an uneventful track day this year.

where did you get the shock and calipers? what did they set you back, if you dont mind me asking? Ski

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Galfer SS lines and Brembo master showed up today and was able to get them installed. :thumbsup:

NRC engine covers also showed up but the right side is on back order, so I might just wait to put those on. The install for the calipers and master cylinder was pretty painless. The shock was a different story needed to loosen the rear sub-frame in order to give the shock enough clearance to make it through the swingarm.

Now I'm just waiting on Hotbodies race plastic to show up, they said 1-3 weeks so that means 3 weeks which means I'll have to run OEM fairings for Grattan track day.

All in all has been painless but expensive!

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we will be there. just got the 636 back last night from rebuilding the transmission. ready to have an uneventful track day this year.

where did you get the shock and calipers? what did they set you back, if you dont mind me asking? Ski
What work did you have done ski?

I bought both the calipers and Shock from Hard racing performance, hardracing.com They have a dedicated page with discount items for the 04-05 10R. Shock was $850 and Brembos were $1,100. I did some shopping around and think it was a pretty good deal overall. No regrets at the moment, until someone uploads a link with cheaper prices :crackup:

T-Town-Tom and I will be training up there Fri night, when are you going to be pulling in?

·
Registered
578 Posts
my trans had been dropping out of third and going into second or a false neutral. cost me a crash and a broken shoulder blade in june over the hump at grattan. (plus the bike damage). my tech tore the motor down, and we replaced anything that looked remotely worn. 2 input gears 3 output gears, all three shift forks, and the shift drum itself. i put the bike back together friday night. i should be at gingerman right now shaking the bike down but, i sit here typing away.

we will get there friday night, and set up the pit for the weekend. cant miss me riding around the pits on my unicycle :D

white gmc, white legend trailer, kawasaki's under the parts unlimited awning.

thinking about asking for an unpaid day off for next fridays pro school at grattan. i bought my license for wera, i just need to take the pro school to be able to race. Ski

Ski

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my trans had been dropping out of third and going into second or a false neutral. cost me a crash and a broken shoulder blade in june over the hump at grattan. (plus the bike damage). my tech tore the motor down, and we replaced anything that looked remotely worn. 2 input gears 3 output gears, all three shift forks, and the shift drum itself. i put the bike back together friday night. i should be at gingerman right now shaking the bike down but, i sit here typing away.

we will get there friday night, and set up the pit for the weekend. cant miss me riding around the pits on my unicycle :D

white gmc, white legend trailer, kawasaki's under the parts unlimited awning.

thinking about asking for an unpaid day off for next fridays pro school at grattan. i bought my license for wera, i just need to take the pro school to be able to race. Ski

Ski

Dam ski that's a lot of work, I hope the shoulder is healed up now. How did the ride around the neighborhood shakedown go? I always piss of my neighbors running up the motort up and down the road or in the garage.

Will see you at Grattan! White expedition, white trailer can't wait to have a Beer...........errrrrrr Gatorade Friday night!

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
How did u wire up the brake switch that came with the MC? Wiring makes me nervous and ofcourse the MC didnt come with good instructions to wire it in on a 10

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Niiice stuff how'd those brmbo's work out?
bled the brakes last night and a couple trips around the block to start bedding the pads. With bike on the stands the lever pull is linear with steady resistance until pad lockup. to sum it up feels flawless. I'm running stock rotors but will upgrade to the Galfer superbike pretty soon. just on the short trip around the block, without grabbing a handful of lever, I have never felt anything so smooth, responsive, and powerful as this setup. I have heard the RCS might be a bit better but shit I sure as hell am not THAT fast to need those. Frankly, I'm not fast enough for this brake upgrade, but even with fresh pads and brake fluid after 4 laps I would get some good brake fade with the stock setup. I'm pretty confident that this will eliminate that problem. I would rate A+ for performance and a C- for cost and these M4's are the cheap calipers.

On another note, has anyone encountered problems with dynojet quickshifter? I have it installed with quickshifter standard settings i.e. (haven't loaded any info from install disk) and couldn't do a clutchless upshift. Directions just say plug and play but its not working now so.... do I need to download the disk info?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did u wire up the brake switch that came with the MC? Wiring makes me nervous and ofcourse the MC didnt come with good instructions to wire it in on a 10

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
BigCat I saw your post the other day and meant to respond, I believe you will need the brake light switch that Brembo sells for additional cost of course. I was looking to see if I could retrofit my stock switch to the brembo master and it might be possible but haven't looked real hard at it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just ordered new chain and sprockets too. Going -1, +2 with the 520 conversion. That should do it for the conversion other than the track plastics with a rattle can paint job, and rotors depending on stock rotor performance.

·
Registered
578 Posts
-1,+2 will turn that beast into a wheelie monster. might want to opt for stock front +2, or +3 for the rear, to start... and see how you like it.

the quick shifter will need to be added to the powercommander, and enabled there. the last 2 i did for dynojet, i had to call and wait on hold FOREVER to get a tech to help upgrade firmware for both pc3, and QS to work together. pain in the ass but, they got it to work.

if you want to see if it works, enable the shift kill on the pc3, set the shift kill time to 250ms, start the bike on the stand, and pull up hard on the shifter engaging the sensor like you are trying to shift into second from neutral. with kawi's positive neutral finder, this works great for testing. when you pull up at 250 ms, it should completely kill the motor. then you know it is working.

if you have done this, you might not have the revs high enough. you can set how low of a rpm you want it to start working at. i would start with it not working below 4000rpms (i think default is 3000-3500). then you dont have unwanted upshifts in the pits.

set you kill time long, and work back to shorter and shorter, till you are comfortable that the kill is long enough and not too short causing the bike not to shift or bind going into the next gear. start at about 100ms kill, and you will probably end up between 65-80ms kill.

if you go too short, you WILL shorten the life of your transmission. better to error on the long side. good luck, keep us posted. Ski

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ski, thanks for the info I'll start playing around with this. The PCIII USB is from all the way back in 04, I remember having to wait for it when it was coming out, so maybe I will need the firmware update. Nonetheless, I'll start with your other suggestions first and see where that leads. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it this weekend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ski, thanks much for the tip. I have the QS working now. It was a little problematic to get the QS software to enable the QS, not sure what was going on but I ended up getting the QS software to enable by starting the bike on the stand and then it recognized the QS and enabled.

Went around the block and it is working though may need to adjust the kill time feels as though when I shift the tranny is engaging to quickly and I get a strong lurch from the engine. I think I was expecting a little more seamless shift thus I may give it more kill time, or am I thinking this all wrong?

Might end up actually getting the track plastics in time. Though might not be enough time to align and drill everything. Guess I'll just play that one as it comes. Can't wait to get back on the track this year. On another note the wife was plowed into in her car last week and will be off work for 4-6 months! She had surgery the other day for her broken thumb, and you know what she says.......well I guess since I'll be home more, you can go to the track more often!!! WOW! Now that's a good woman hahahaha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts