Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been scouring over the part numbers for the new bike vs the gen 5. Among other things it looks like the only difference in transmissions is the gears themselves, and only inputs 2-6, and outputs 2-6.

From gearing commander I’m seeing
New 2nd gear no change
New 3rd gear gains 4mph
New 4th gear gains 6mph
New 5th gear gains 8mph
New 6th gear gains 12mph

I’m particularly interested in the new 5th and 6th, being that I’d like to gear my bike down for better acceleration, but keep my top speed and highway cruising rpms relatively the same, I’m interested in swapping some gears around.

Having never taken apart and rebuilt one of these transmissions yet, will I be able to change just one gear if I change both the input and output, or will I need the whole stack?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
So I’ve been scouring over the part numbers for the new bike vs the gen 5. Among other things it looks like the only difference in transmissions is the gears themselves, and only inputs 2-6, and outputs 2-6.

From gearing commander I’m seeing
New 2nd gear no change
New 3rd gear gains 4mph
New 4th gear gains 6mph
New 5th gear gains 8mph
New 6th gear gains 12mph

I’m particularly interested in the new 5th and 6th, being that I’d like to gear my bike down for better acceleration, but keep my top speed and highway cruising rpms relatively the same, I’m interested in swapping some gears around.

Having never taken apart and rebuilt one of these transmissions yet, will I be able to change just one gear if I change both the input and output, or will I need the whole stack?
You can change individual gearing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup final drive is up 2 teeth in the rear on the 21 I believe. I quite like 16/39 or 16/40 on my gen 5, but it runs out of gear a little quick for some of what I do. New 5th and 6th I can drop in for about $450, or drop them all in for about $990. Decisions decisions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.