Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
The G5 rod end bearings are a slightly improved from the G4 version. There's nothing inherently wrong with them and the issue is apparently more related to oil pump, pressure, and the oil change process. What "issues" are you wondering about?

I spun a rod end bearing on my old G4. It happened on at low throttle settings at 3,000rpm. That saved me from catastrophic damage. It's never a good thing when it happens, but some are worse than others. The #1 piston lightly contacted the head, but didn't damage a valve or piston. It's a big expensive repair job especially if you're paying someone else to do it for you.

If the crank is still straight, I can most likely be repaired. If not, a new crank is needed. From there, you need new bearings, conrods, relief valve, pickup screen, bolts, nuts, washers, gaskets, etc. Because mine spun at low speed, only the #1 journal was scored. I had the crank repaired, knife-edged, and fluted as an upgrade. It came out good when I was done with it, but it's a big, consuming job.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The G5 rod end bearings are a slightly improved from the G4 version. There's nothing inherently wrong with them and the issue is apparently more related to oil pump, pressure, and the oil change process. What "issues" are you wondering about?

I spun a rod end bearing on my old G4. It happened on at low throttle settings at 3,000rpm. That saved me from catastrophic damage. It's never a good thing when it happens, but some are worse than others. The #1 piston lightly contacted the head, but didn't damage a valve or piston. It's a big expensive repair job especially if you're paying someone else to do it for you.

If the crank is still straight, I can most likely be repaired. If not, a new crank is needed. From there, you need new bearings, conrods, relief valve, pickup screen, bolts, nuts, washers, gaskets, etc. Because mine spun at low speed, only the #1 journal was scored. I had the crank repaired, knife-edged, and fluted as an upgrade. It came out good when I was done with it, but it's a big, consuming job.
My bike is under warranty but wanted to know how common is this failure and if kawi is tracking it.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
My bike is under warranty but wanted to know how common is this failure and if kawi is tracking it.

At least it will be cheap that way and the riding is almost over. The dealer will have the bike for the better part of a month or two I'd imagine.

They'll track the issue, but it's just like the Gen 4 in that regard. They were an odd number of spun bearings on that model, but nothing widespread. The G5 is supposed to be an improvement to that one and it's not a major issue on it that we've heard. It happens sometimes. The dealer will submit the warranty claim, Kawi will assess and track it from there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

At least it will be cheap that way and the riding is almost over. The dealer will have the bike for the better part of a month or two I'd imagine.

They'll track the issue, but it's just like the Gen 4 in that regard. They were an odd number of spun bearings on that model, but nothing widespread. The G5 is supposed to be an improvement to that one and it's not a major issue on it that we've heard. It happens sometimes. The dealer will submit the warranty claim, Kawi will assess and track it from there.
Will a new engine be issued or parts to fix what went wrong?

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts

Parts. They won't give you a new motor. The engine is numbered and tied to the VIN. They will fix the motor you have which takes longer for the teardown and rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Parts. They won't give you a new motor. The engine is numbered and tied to the VIN. They will fix the motor you have which takes longer for the teardown and rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh ok I'll find out tomorrow if im covered

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.