Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have currently decided on the Akro Evo full system and a Sprint P08 F1-85 air filter thus far for my 2016 KRT. I live not too far from Valley Racing outside of Chicago, so I plan to go there for a dyno-tune. I've used them before with my other motorcycle. My question is aside from the tune, air filter, and exhaust, what else should I look at improving / modifying performance-wise? The bike may see the occasional track day, but it will not be a full on track bike. I'm 5'10, so the bike is comfortable enough for me. Currently running RS10's which I am very happy with. Thanks for any suggestions :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2017 ZX-10RR. Stock set up with cat delete and an intermediate pipe back into the stock Kawasaki exhaust muffler put down 172.4 hp. Woolich Racing Kit, Sprint P08 F1-85, cat delete, Intermediate Pipe, Stock Exhaust Muffler, and Tune put down 196.8 hp. I am contemplating the new Brock's Penta-carbon full exhaust in the future. Performance wise, I could suggest a 16T sprocket for the front that will move your RPMs up sooner. For example, 2nd gear at 60 mph could be 6,000 rpms. A 16T front sprocket may shift your 2nd gear 60mph rpms to 6800 (more in a "launch" rpm zone). My estimates are just that, estimates and not accurate, but an example. Some will say front sprocket, rear sprocket, front AND rear sprocket. You have to find out what will work best for you. For a quicker acceleration feel, sprockets are the answer. Good luck!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replay Southwest! What all comes with the Woolich Racing Kit?

I have a 2017 ZX-10RR. Stock set up with cat delete and an intermediate pipe back into the stock Kawasaki exhaust muffler put down 172.4 hp. Woolich Racing Kit, Sprint P08 F1-85, cat delete, Intermediate Pipe, Stock Exhaust Muffler, and Tune put down 196.8 hp. I am contemplating the new Brock's Penta-carbon full exhaust in the future. Performance wise, I could suggest a 16T sprocket for the front that will move your RPMs up sooner. For example, 2nd gear at 60 mph could be 6,000 rpms. A 16T front sprocket may shift your 2nd gear 60mph rpms to 6800 (more in a "launch" rpm zone). My estimates are just that, estimates and not accurate, but an example. Some will say front sprocket, rear sprocket, front AND rear sprocket. You have to find out what will work best for you. For a quicker acceleration feel, sprockets are the answer. Good luck!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Best course of action is to go to the Woolich Racing website and find your Make, Model, and Year bike application, if offered. Scroll.down to the $770 option and read up on it. This option will include everything to get your bike set up. In addition, I did order Race Tools as a stand-alone $260.additional option. However, this may have been unnecessary for my needs. That is yet to be determined. The $770 option should do you well, if available for your bike. That option, plus a good tune, yielded my bike 24.4 more hp over stock. Each bike will be different. Especially givwn different modifications. If you have the money and plan on keeping the bike, it's worth a consideration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've been a great help Southwest_Ninja. Much appreciated! I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Southwest, one more more question. I'm on the site now and I don't see a $770 option. I have one for $534...https://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/zx10r-krt-race-kit-ecu/2016/2016-kawasaki-zx10r-krt-race-kit-ecu-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

·
Registered
90 Posts
Unsure. This is the one that I purchased. Mine was $772. Yours could be cheaper. https://www.woolichracing.com/produ...awasaki-zx10rr-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

What I suggest is, write down the products that come in my option and compare it to your options. Or, give Woolich a call on Monday (Holiday?) or Tuesday and they can guide you best. I don't want to give incorrect info for your bike. Your options may be cheaper, but spread out, where as mine was packaged as a "kit." Hence, the $772 pricetag. Compare the items in each "kit" they offer for your bike.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
Southwest, one more more question. I'm on the site now and I don't see a $770 option. I have one for $534...https://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/zx10r-krt-race-kit-ecu/2016/2016-kawasaki-zx10r-krt-race-kit-ecu-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable
Do you have the Kawasaki Race ECU? If not, why are you looking at that from Woolich? That's not for OEM ECU.

Base kit is $426. That's all you need to tune it.

The autotune kit with O2 sensor and the logbox is $772

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks again Southwest, that helps a ton!
No worries. I still consider myself a Newb even with 33,000 miles in just 5 years of riding. I am trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible and share what I learn with others (Aka: Teamwork; "Work Smarter, Not Harder) mindset. It's a "Brotherhood." And I have a few brothers helping me out extensively, so I believe in paying it forward. And if I can help a brother out, then that makes it all well worth it. But because I am still learning, I have to be careful with what I say and how I say it because what I type makes sense to me, but could be perceived differently the way it is read. Case and point, in another post, I identified my $772 Woolich package as a "Woolich Racing Kit." Although I know it is a kit (package) I purchased from Woolich Racing, it can easily be mistaken for a "Racing Kit" from Woolich. Make sense? So, wording (and detail) is important for clarity. Sometimes, it is not what is said, but how it is perceived. And that can make the world of a difference in one's understanding and response. Knowledge is power!! But effective communication wording is essential!! Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skydork, can you educate me on why I would need the autotune kit with O2 sensor and the logbox? I'm not concerned about the prices, so much as the application for these? Thanks for your input.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
Skydork, can you educate me on why I would need the autotune kit with O2 sensor and the logbox? I'm not concerned about the prices, so much as the application for these? Thanks for your input.
The O2 sensor connects to the logbox. It sniffs the exhaust while you're riding the bike. It collects the data that measures the Air to Fuel Ratio (AFR). You set a target value for the AFR in the software for the ratio you want, and thr software makes recommendations to adjust the fuel map accordingly. It's the same thing that is done on a dyno, just without the dyno and sniffer from that. The basic kit does all the same stuff software-wise, just doesn't make any recommendations. You'd have to tune the fueling yourself on a dyno or some other way if you want an accurate tune.

Hope that answers your question there.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
850 Posts
Yeah as SkyDork says. With the wide-band O2 sensors, you go for a blast, try use plenty of rev range and throttle positions, without getting pulled by the cops. When you get back you can dump the logs and adjust the fueling to correct for any rich/lean areas. (The software can adjust all cells for you based on measured AFR)

A good session on a dyn, I feel, will be superior if done properly, as they can use the dyno to keep a fixed RPM and vary throttle position, this allows you to hit virtually all fuel cells (throttle position vs RPM), which would be very hard to achieve on the road.

No to mention a tuner probably has very good knowledge of tuning not just for ideal AFR, but also throttle response Etc.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very much, SkyDork. Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Trebor, you all have big very helpful to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, have a chat with your tuner before buying anything. I removed the cat with a link pipe went down one tooth on the front and had a Woolich dynotune and enabled the blipper with a tuner I know, it completely transformed the bike and I don't want much more from it now it's a mainly track day bike..
When I bought the bike I looked at buying most of the Woolich stuff but glad I didn't, for what I use it for it's brilliant.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Thanks for the replay Southwest! What all comes with the Woolich Racing Kit?
Dude woolich gives you autoblip, wideband logging so you can tune the bike for real world riding and not just wot. Allows disable of o2, exhaust servo, pair valves etc..let's you get the most out of your bike. Also let's you dial in the speedo based off of tires etc ..it's the shit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dude woolich gives you autoblip, wideband logging so you can tune the bike for real world riding and not just wot. Allows disable of o2, exhaust servo, pair valves etc..let's you get the most out of your bike. Also let's you dial in the speedo based off of tires etc ..it's the shit.
Excellent input. May I ask, where do you obtain the info for the tires? Is this a diameter thing? I seen in DTH's spreadsheet 1868mm and 1967mm, but I honestly don't know where this info is pulled from.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
Excellent input. May I ask, where do you obtain the info for the tires? Is this a diameter thing? I seen in DTH's spreadsheet 1868mm and 1967mm, but I honestly don't know where this info is pulled from.
Actual tire circumference. That's something measured on the tire, not provided by most manufacturers. 1967mm is 77 inches. You have to measure the outer circumference of the specific tires you're using to update the information in Woolich to account for that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts