Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Changing to a 16/39 setup from stock(17/39) will feel dramatically better(acceleration wise) with that "wow" moment since it's like going up 2.5/3 teeth in the rear. As I added teeth to the rear, 16/40 and then 16/41, those changes were more subtle.

To be honest I never track my MPG and just fill up when my fuel light comes on, but like BH mentioned, you're bound to lose MPG when you run taller gearing. Also top end speed will be affected by running taller gearing, with the biggest hit deriving from moving from a 17T front to a 16T.
Okay Zed!! You answered my question. I appreciate you, and I value your opinion. I have not made my decision yet. For me, the bike is STILL a joy to ride with 17/39. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I'm only interested in satisfying my own curiosities & interests. *FUN FACT: It "felt" really good one month, to realize I was averaging 35mpg(according to the instrument panel), and I was STILL whacking on power periodically, randomly, just being playful. This "record" for me, happened a few months ago when here in California, fuel was approaching $8.00/gal. So yeah, mpg does matter to me because my bike is not a dedicated "track" bike. It's my personal therapy/recreational machine, that I take out to enjoy a pretty California day with. And let me be clear; I'm not "broke", but it still doesn't feel good to me mentally, knowing I'm being savagely gouged(robbed) at the pump, without validation. To me, that's mild terrorism(LMAO :D). Have a nice Turkey Day, Zed!! -馃憣

Reactions: Zed X Ten

Registered
Gen 4 zx10R - bst wheels. Brembo m/c. SC project. ACC billet. Bitubo suspension. Hyperpro s/damper.
Hello B.H. !! thank you for adding your thoughts on my question! I appreciate that, and I agree with what you offer. I did "expect" to lose a little mpg. Also, like most responsible "street" riders, I don't need ALL the potential "top end"(over 175mph) speeds, a ZX-10r is capable of providing. I don't want to go to jail, or have my bike impounded, or sacrifice my life attempting a rural 200mph "pull". So there is no "losing top end" sadness with me. To be honest with you, I'm actually "on the fence" about the gearing change. In my opinion, the bike is NOT boring to ride through the city, as is! I bought it KNOWING, it's design intention. Thank you again, for adding in. (y)
With the change in top end, you need to know that there will be a change in the usable RPM range at what is your cruising speed.

This will change the MPG and may also seem to become annoying over time. Keep that in mind.

Registered
Get some tight fitting earbuds (I use Raycons) and they act like ear plugs. Simultaneously listen to tunes and keep the exhaust noise at bay. Though there is a temptation to just jack up the tunes even louder when you're on the highway and that's not great for long term hearing regardless.

Registered
With the change in top end, you need to know that there will be a change in the usable RPM range at what is your cruising speed.

This will change the MPG and may also seem to become annoying over time. Keep that in mind.
Thank you BH! I might give the 16T a try next chain change. Won't kill me to "try it" for a season, right? It's easy enough to switch out. But I will def leave the rear as is, a 39. I may do it summer 2023? All depends on when my current chain is ready to be tossed into the trash bin. I'm STILL on the OEM chain from the factory, @ 10.6K mi. I hope to get 20K out of that bad boy 馃馃徎. -馃槑

21 - 24 of 24 Posts