Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my fuel pump in my Gen 4. I would like to use one from Gen 5. In the Gen 5 fuel pump the filter is replaceable.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
...just so you know, the fuel filter isn't replaceable in the Gen 5 pump. the PRE pump filter is, but the post-pump (the one that clogs and gives you headaches) is still sold as part of the assembly.

You can buy most pre-pump filters if you know where/how to look, but those post pump filter assemblies are a bastard.

·
Registered
868 Posts
...just so you know, the fuel filter isn't replaceable in the Gen 5 pump. the PRE pump filter is, but the post-pump (the one that clogs and gives you headaches) is still sold as part of the assembly.

You can buy most pre-pump filters if you know where/how to look, but those post pump filter assemblies are a bastard.
So Gen4 fuel pump is preferable? For some reason, and this is 100% my assumption, I thought Gen5 fuel pump has an additional sensor for "Distance to Empty" read out, which we all know can't be relied upon but still.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
As far as the pumping of fuel goes, they are essentially the same. For that matter, any pump assembly out of a kawi with that bolt pattern will likely work; I've interchanged ZX6/Concours/ZX14/ZX10R pump assemblies more than once.

As far as the fuel level sensor goes, that will specifically be different from tank to tank, pump to pump.... I'm not exactly familiar with how the Gen 5/Gen 4 do it, save that is usually just a passive resistance circuit attached to the pump housing. If it doesn't have a float, then it is just giving you 'best guess' based on that circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts