Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did it myself. Graves let's you have the map free. Just go to the FTECU file manager, download it and send to your bike. Super simple ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Interesting. Is it correct to assume you should have a Graves exhaust on the bike if you are going to benefit from their map? If so, does it matter if it is a slip-on or full?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Found a post by Proteus claiming that on his 2016 ZX10R when he set the EBC on L (for minimum engine braking) it smoothed out the off-on throttle response nicely. Have any of you gen 5 owners tried this and what might be the downside to setting the EBC on L?
Yes. This smoothed out my throttle response by going to L on my 2016 ZX10R.. I didnt see any downside. My bike is all stock... For now.

RC

·
Registered
216 Posts
For sure the zx10 is sensitive to exhaust changes when considering air fuel ratio but there is so much more to a map. It's pretty clear that the common tuner just speaks about air fuel ratios and ignition timing. The newest talking points on the street is drive by wire mapping. This can be extremely complicated the way the Kawi has it arranged. I'm not sure I've heard anyone explain how it works correctly.
Putting the simple maps of these 3 areas fuel, ignition and DBW aside there is a lot of other areas that need tending to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks cwrzx for the input. When you speak of the ETV, are you referring to ECU flash tweaking?
ETV is Electronic Throttle Valve which one can change the values using Woolich software. If you twist the throttle to 80% you can set the ETV to 50% which gives you 40% throttle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ETV is Electronic Throttle Valve which one can change the values using Woolich software. If you twist the throttle to 80% you can set the ETV to 50% which gives you 40% throttle.
Not sure about the WR software. The Ftecu is what I've used

the base ETV map targets 1 to 1 APS (accelerator position sensor, throttle grip) vs TPS (throttle position sensor, throttle valve angle)
The value in each data cell represents a percentage of the 1 to 1.

This being said, there are other corrections that effect the relationship between the APS and the TPS.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I did a 16 R1 that are the big broncos of herky jerky.....

I took the power mode1 and made it way softer and smother with the woolich.... that 1 to 1 forget about it, if that was optimal we would be using gen4 style of system..

sometimes we need it slower and sometimes +76% TPS a bit faster.... I think that (I have never worked on a gen5), that the way is to go way softer on those initial openings..

the aproach Anthony does is the correct... and the sooner and smother you open the gas, the faster you go.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you everyone for elaborating and clarifying even more on this topic. Unfortunately, my head is spinning trying to digest all this new information about variables and tuning approaches. Makes me appreciate my good ol' carbureted ZRX1200R even more. LOL

Seems like the more advancements made in technology on these bikes, the more the proverbial pandora's box is opened.

Going slightly off topic, I was also considering a 2016 ZX6R non-ABS model my local dealer has at a decent price. Would the same tuning options and challenges discussed in this thread relating to the gen 5 ZX10R also apply to the ZX6R?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Canned maps.... well it depends...
my experience in this small DR island, have seen people buy canned maps, then I make my map and the bike is better, especially R1s....

gen4, canned maps are 98% spot on...
suzukis are almost spot on also....

I think that some bikes compensate very good.

the problem I see with them is this, customer tailoring.... they make just one map, and I have found that people like different throttle response for different situations.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I did it myself. Graves let's you have the map free. Just go to the FTECU file manager, download it and send to your bike. Super simple ?

Did they open the map up so you can modify your settings? I originally went wtih FTECU and the Graves map but then I realized they had it locked down so you couldn't adjust anything. I originally just wanted it for a starting point. Completely worthless to me.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I forgot to mention that I added the Graves cam throttle to my 2016. This was a big change.

So your throttle twist is shorter now?

Did it help? Make worse?

Haven't put a quick turn throttle on mine yet but it's still really "snatchy" after a Woolich flash/tune on the dyno

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
447 Posts
So your throttle twist is shorter now?

Did it help? Make worse?

Haven't put a quick turn throttle on mine yet but it's still really "snatchy" after a Woolich flash/tune on the dyno
Yes it works...100%

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Did you have a roll racer tune the bike? Their idea of ETV throttle mapping is setting 1st gear to 75% so they don't have to worry about wheelies.

However, you can't really tune throttle feel on the dyno. I know you're familiar with Woolich so you could probably map it out yourself.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
447 Posts
To be clear, you're saying adding a quick turn throttle will help reduce the "snatchy" feel?
The Graves is a progressive turn tube that also shortens the overall turn slightly. It’s much softer than stock from 0-30%, then at about 50-70% it speeds up and makes the overall rotation faster (by a small margin), than stock.

Reactions: dudewhrsmybike

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Did you have a roll racer tune the bike? Their idea of ETV throttle mapping is setting 1st gear to 75% so they don't have to worry about wheelies.

However, you can't really tune throttle feel on the dyno. I know you're familiar with Woolich so you could probably map it out yourself.
I think you already know who tuned it, but yes. I'm going to look into what I can do to make any changes. I have access to a Woolich USB-V3 from a friend.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts