Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently purchased a 2017 ZX10RR without keys, longish story, previous owner lost them, he's an idiot, I posted a few months ago for suggestions.
So in the end I brought a new/2nd hand ECU, Ignition barrel, keys, c/w wire loom and rear subframe from a race team in the UK that just ditched it all when they converted the bike to race only from new.
I wondered why they wouldn't sell me just the ECU and ignition/keys.
I suspect the reason is the stupid one way screws Kawasaki uses to captivate the ECU in the subframe, I assume the seller just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of removing the little fuckers.
They are ridiculously difficult to remove ( I'm guessing there is a reason for that lol)
Bur seriously, it's meant to be a race / track bike ( well, imo anyway, especially the RR) so why make removing the ECU such a drama.
And for those that don't know what one way screws are …. the can only be done up clockwise. Only way to remove them is either punch them around with a small centre punch or drill a hole in them and use an easy out.
I hope converting the rest of the bike to race is not so difficult !!

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,656 Posts
In america we do not have the security system. I assume they lock it with one way screws so that someone can not just plug in there ECU I guess and take the bike.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
As a race team they would have been replacing the entire rear sub frame assembly anyhow. The ECU is coded too the immobiliser which is coded too the keys so removing the lot and selling as a job lot makes sense. These bikes particularly in Europe are a desirable to criminal gangs, so all these little security features like one way screws accumulate yo make it a little harder and more troublesome for thieves. For you why not just swap the rear entirely? Sell off the patys you have individually?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts