Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your process in order for putting the rear wheel on? I'm spending entirely too much time between sessions getting my rear wheel on. Frustrating to say the least.... Thanks guys

·
Registered
546 Posts
PAIN IN THE BALLS. I find that taking the brake pads out of the caliper makes it easier when you go to put the wheel back on but still a pain in the balls

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Too easy on the Gen4 dude. Done it many times. If it would help, put a large flat head screw driver in between the rear brake pads and twist it so they open up a bit. Will make it easier to slip over the rotor, just make sure you pump the brakes before you take off.

Put both feet under the tire to keep it in the air, makes it very easy to balance and keep at the height you need to slide axle through. Should be able to wiggle the caliper bracket into place, just make sure you have the axle ready to go.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too easy on the Gen4 dude. Done it many times. If it would help, put a large flat head screw driver in between the rear brake pads and twist it so they open up a bit. Will make it easier to slip over the rotor, just make sure you pump the brakes before you take off.

Put both feet under the tire to keep it in the air, makes it very easy to balance and keep at the height you need to slide axle through. Should be able to wiggle the caliper bracket into place, just make sure you have the axle ready to go.
Easy my ass, the r1 was easy to pop the wheel on.

It's not really the pads that were giving me fits, it's the damn spacers, every time I attempt to get it all lined up, they drop out.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts

It's not really the pads that were giving me fits, it's the damn spacers, every time I attempt to get it all lined up, they drop out.
Well, only the brake side spacer should be popping out. Put some grease on it and it will stick in there better. When you have the wheel in the air getting everything in place, the sprocket side spacer should be touching the swingarm so there's no way that should be falling out.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Captive spacers?
I haven't felt the need for them. They made the spacers much easier on this bike, rotor side doesn't stick out very far once fully seated so it's less likely to pop out when it makes contact with the caliper bracket.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, only the brake side spacer should be popping out. Put some grease on it and it will stick in there better. When you have the wheel in the air getting everything in place, the sprocket side spacer should be touching the swingarm so there's no way that should be falling out.
The brake side spacer was the problem, I'll try grease to keep it in place when aligning everything to slide in. Eddie T suggested that too.

·
Registered
735 Posts
:+1:
well, only the brake side spacer should be popping out. Put some grease on it and it will stick in there better. When you have the wheel in the air getting everything in place, the sprocket side spacer should be touching the swingarm so there's no way that should be falling out.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I haven't felt the need for them. They made the spacers much easier on this bike, rotor side doesn't stick out very far once fully seated so it's less likely to pop out when it makes contact with the caliper bracket.
Haven't had the wheels off yet so I guess I'll find out. I was running two gsxrs last year, one with and one without the spacers. The one with them required far less swear words and 1/2 the time. I'll try a wheel change before I pony up the cash.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts

I used small piece of duck tape to hold spacer on my gen 3. Have not pulled the wheel on the gen 4.

It was still a pain getting the axel to align.

I'm okay at changing the wheel now... But was a pain!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just build a little ramp outta 2x4's

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had problems with this. I had ordered rear spools but they hadn't come in when I changed my sprockets. So I was using a cheapo generic stand that lifted the swing arm. Well fighting the rear wheel I knocked the bike off the stand. Luckily I was standing and caught the bike by the licence plate using the back of my neck. Some how I kept one side on the stand and was able to balance the bike long enough to grab my phone. Called my wife to come out while holding the bike up on my back like atlas. She came out and lined the stand up while I lifted the bike and all was well.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had problems with this. I had ordered rear spools but they hadn't come in when I changed my sprockets. So I was using a cheapo generic stand that lifted the swing arm. Well fighting the rear wheel I knocked the bike off the stand. Luckily I was standing and caught the bike by the licence plate using the back of my neck. Some how I kept one side on the stand and was able to balance the bike long enough to grab my phone. Called my wife to come out while holding the bike up on my back like atlas. She came out and lined the stand up while I lifted the bike and all was well.
lol holy shit that would have been a sight to see

·
Registered
790 Posts
It sucked but I'm glad it landed on me instead of the ground. The worst part was my wife deciding that was the best time to play 50 questions. When I called her I got "what? Where? How? Why did you do that? I don't understand. What should I do?" Eventually I just asked her kindly to come out to the f*cking garage. As soon as I got the rear spools I installed them immediately.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts

It sucked but I'm glad it landed on me instead of the ground. The worst part was my wife deciding that was the best time to play 50 questions. When I called her I got "what? Where? How? Why did you do that? I don't understand. What should I do?" Eventually I just asked her kindly to come out to the f*cking garage. As soon as I got the rear spools I installed them immediately.
Wow....that would have been crazy, I can imagine the phone call too hahaha.... been there too with other situations.

I also find myself more often than not wrestling with my rear wheel trying to put it back on. Maybe time to try the captive spacers.....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I find it much easier to flip the axle to have it slide in from left side to right side on the bike. I'm right handed and it's much easier for me to hold the brake caliper in alignment and manipulate the wheel with my right hand while shoving the axle through with my left hand. Just my 2 cents.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I find it much easier to flip the axle to have it slide in from left side to right side on the bike. I'm right handed and it's much easier for me to hold the brake caliper in alignment and manipulate the wheel with my right hand while shoving the axle through with my left hand. Just my 2 cents.
I've actually done that too, although not necessary on the Gen4 as the spacers make it so much easier because they tend to not fall out. However, once the wheel, spacers, and caliper bracket are wedged in there, I just slide the axle out and slide it back in through the correct side.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts