Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 runs smooth but the motor makes...I guess you'd call it a high frequency vibration? Anything over 7-8K makes the hands numb. I already have Throttlemeister heavy ends on my HeliBars. I do have manageable carpal tunnel though so might not be a problem after surgery. But for now I'm thinking of boring out the HeliBars to add some lead shot. Anyone done this before. Anyone think this is a bad idea or that it wouldn't work? Open to other suggestions to reduce vibes. The stock bars are hollow so I don't see how the HeliBars wouldn't be strong enough with a 1/2" hole in them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure about the strength of helibars. When I was reading instruction for install there was a warning advising to not use them for supporting the bike if it went on a trailer they seem light so would think the material used may not be as rigid as the stocks. Progrips made a small difference for me on my gen2.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably not the case with a 2015 bike, but I've been told throttle bodies out of sync contribute to bad vibes. Lots of people recommend gel grips. And foam grips, but to me the foam grips look seventies! I came across a post somewhere {I tried to find it again but couldn't} where someone experimented with different weights in the bars, temporarily fixed in, found the correct weight to minimize the vibrations, and siliconed it in. Seems a bit of a hassle, but I guess if vibrations are bad enough for someone, then they'd persist. And the right amount of weight wasn't a bar full. From memory not an awful lot. Guess the weight amount depends on the frequency of the vibrations. And their star sign, and the colour of their helmet etc. Complex math, to me anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't even think about trying different grips. I'll check out progrips and hope that's enough. Definitely going to be easier than screwing with drilling my HeliBars. Thanks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you already have bar end weights, throw some Progrip 719 grips on there. They are total grandpa grips compared to a full race grip, but you're already running Helibars, so you'll thank me later. I love them in combination with my Zeta Racing weights, but stock bars here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you already have bar end weights, throw some Progrip 719 grips on there. They are total grandpa grips compared to a full race grip, but you're already running Helibars, so you'll thank me later. I love them in combination with my Zeta Racing weights, but stock bars here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Just ordered them. Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I find that my hands go numb after the first 20 minutes, but then I start flexing my hands and the numbness seems to go away.

How long are you riding for?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find that my hands go numb after the first 20 minutes, but then I start flexing my hands and the numbness seems to go away.

How long are you riding for?
Anywhere from 20 minutes to work to all day. They'd go numb mostly around 7-9k really fast but like I said before I do have manageable carpal tunnel so thought maybe that played a part. Just put on 719 progrips after work and rode e 20 minutes home. All but gone now. Not enough for me to complain about anyway. Thanks all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try up shifting and riding around 4-5000rpm instead...
I would love to have the choice to ride 4-5k but I geared it down to 16/41 which I love around town and state hwy roads but the interstate...not so much. She really talks to me on the interstate. I'm around 6500 @ 80mph.

·
Registered
112 Posts
2015 runs smooth but the motor makes...I guess you'd call it a high frequency vibration? Anything over 7-8K makes the hands numb. I already have Throttlemeister heavy ends on my HeliBars. I do have manageable carpal tunnel though so might not be a problem after surgery. But for now I'm thinking of boring out the HeliBars to add some lead shot. Anyone done this before. Anyone think this is a bad idea or that it wouldn't work? Open to other suggestions to reduce vibes. The stock bars are hollow so I don't see how the HeliBars wouldn't be strong enough with a 1/2" hole in them.
I have been in your shoes and have probably the worst combination of work, hobby and competitive interests. I have off and on competed in handgun sports for decades now. About 2005 I started to develop chronic overuse injuries - sore wrists, trigger finger (multiple digits), golfers elbow and tennis elbow. Not all at once, but after about 2009, they began to occur in succession. For some time, it seemed like as soon as one injury subsided, another arose. As the joke goes, when you tell your doctor “it hurts when I this <...>” Doctor: “Well, don’t do that”. I tried to comply, laid off the appropriate activities for a few weeks at a time and gradually returned. Next up: torn rotator cuff. 14 months from surgery to 99% range of motion, but only about 5 until all practical and usable motion was restored. I was able to ride after 6 weeks, drive at 8 weeks after surgery. But after this and the 2nd shoulder repair (other side) the tendonitis returned.

Next, after a (cursed) heavy snow, I accidentally hit one of the tendon sheaths of my left hand, right where I’ve had chronic trigger finger for years. This convinced me to get the surgical repair. it’s in and out, and you can still use your hand to type, etc. The doctor boldly proclaimed: “This always works”. It did; no more issues with my fingers swelling and locking during opening / closing. Unfortunately, the stiffness continues to this day - 18 months later.

What does this have to do with buzzing?
I had the same problem. I had the throttlemeister on my ZX11 and I needed it. at times my hand would fall asleep in 10 minutes of highway. When I finally broke down and upgraded to the 14 in 2006, it bought me another 5 minutes. I knew I couldn’t continue to ride like this and I added throttlemeisters, heli bars, and they helped a little but not enough. I even tried adding weights but it was ineffectual. Even if you do succeed, the vibration will still be there, it will just occur at another frequency. Unless you tightly pack the weight material, it will rattle and actually make it worse. I finally found a way to put on an electronic cruise control - the audiovox aftermarket one- on my ZX14. This did exactly what I needed. Any time I had to drone, I could just set the cruise and give my wrist a rest. The install on the 14 was about 6 hours; you have to put a mechanical link on the throttle cable, I think it’s a pull chain on the audiovox and that was a chore, but the rest was splicing and such. Then I had to shake it down and get it set to the sensitivity properly. The whole kit, vacuum can and all added maybe 1.5 - 2 pounds. The hardest part besides the linkage was tapping the number 1 coil. The wire is thin, so you have to be careful. I’ve already done a “test fit” to the 10r and it would fit. My bet is that the Audiovox unit or maybe one pulled from a Concours (?) would easily get you a real cruise control that would permit you to do the drone stretches Unlike the throttlemeister, if you get to a hill, the electronic cruise accelerates you so you don’t have to intervene, downhill it slows. just like a cage. My total investment for this was under $200. I had to buy a relay for the brake cut off switch.

For me, it’s the time in a constant rpm range that causes the pain or needles sensation. Vary the rpms enough and I can ride longer. I suspect this will help you too. I would strongly suggest you look into finding a real cruise control unit, one that can buy you 3-5 minutes at a time of engagement time at a stretch and right wrist and hand will thank you.

Finally, do surgery as a last resort. Try to use physical therapy and strength training if you can and give it an honest try. if you’re in better shape, the chronic use injuries are fewer, shorter duration and not as severe, generally. This gets more important if you have socks / t-shirts older than some of the members here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have carpel end of story. Not the bike.
Forgive me for not understanding your post. Are you saying if a person has carpal forget about trying to fix the vibrations of the bike. Or are you saying it's not the bike that is the problem?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been in your shoes and have probably the worst combination of work, hobby and competitive interests. I have off and on competed in handgun sports for decades now. About 2005 I started to develop chronic overuse injuries - sore wrists, trigger finger (multiple digits), golfers elbow and tennis elbow. Not all at once, but after about 2009, they began to occur in succession. For some time, it seemed like as soon as one injury subsided, another arose. As the joke goes, when you tell your doctor “it hurts when I this <...>” Doctor: “Well, don’t do that”. I tried to comply, laid off the appropriate activities for a few weeks at a time and gradually returned. Next up: torn rotator cuff. 14 months from surgery to 99% range of motion, but only about 5 until all practical and usable motion was restored. I was able to ride after 6 weeks, drive at 8 weeks after surgery. But after this and the 2nd shoulder repair (other side) the tendonitis returned.

Next, after a (cursed) heavy snow, I accidentally hit one of the tendon sheaths of my left hand, right where I’ve had chronic trigger finger for years. This convinced me to get the surgical repair. it’s in and out, and you can still use your hand to type, etc. The doctor boldly proclaimed: “This always works”. It did; no more issues with my fingers swelling and locking during opening / closing. Unfortunately, the stiffness continues to this day - 18 months later.

What does this have to do with buzzing?
I had the same problem. I had the throttlemeister on my ZX11 and I needed it. at times my hand would fall asleep in 10 minutes of highway. When I finally broke down and upgraded to the 14 in 2006, it bought me another 5 minutes. I knew I couldn’t continue to ride like this and I added throttlemeisters, heli bars, and they helped a little but not enough. I even tried adding weights but it was ineffectual. Even if you do succeed, the vibration will still be there, it will just occur at another frequency. Unless you tightly pack the weight material, it will rattle and actually make it worse. I finally found a way to put on an electronic cruise control - the audiovox aftermarket one- on my ZX14. This did exactly what I needed. Any time I had to drone, I could just set the cruise and give my wrist a rest. The install on the 14 was about 6 hours; you have to put a mechanical link on the throttle cable, I think it’s a pull chain on the audiovox and that was a chore, but the rest was splicing and such. Then I had to shake it down and get it set to the sensitivity properly. The whole kit, vacuum can and all added maybe 1.5 - 2 pounds. The hardest part besides the linkage was tapping the number 1 coil. The wire is thin, so you have to be careful. I’ve already done a “test fit” to the 10r and it would fit. My bet is that the Audiovox unit or maybe one pulled from a Concours (?) would easily get you a real cruise control that would permit you to do the drone stretches Unlike the throttlemeister, if you get to a hill, the electronic cruise accelerates you so you don’t have to intervene, downhill it slows. just like a cage. My total investment for this was under $200. I had to buy a relay for the brake cut off switch.

For me, it’s the time in a constant rpm range that causes the pain or needles sensation. Vary the rpms enough and I can ride longer. I suspect this will help you too. I would strongly suggest you look into finding a real cruise control unit, one that can buy you 3-5 minutes at a time of engagement time at a stretch and right wrist and hand will thank you.

Finally, do surgery as a last resort. Try to use physical therapy and strength training if you can and give it an honest try. if you’re in better shape, the chronic use injuries are fewer, shorter duration and not as severe, generally. This gets more important if you have socks / t-shirts older than some of the members here.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips and advice. Not sure I'd want to tackle a DIY cruise but I appreciate the information. Who knows though. I do get a little bored in the winter months.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The problem is one you've created. My 04 had vibrations just over 4000rpm so either I cruised at exactly 4 or up at 5000. Riding around at 7-8000rpm is going to cause vibration, your in the upper end of the rev range right where the bike wants to make power. Why not hear the bike properly so that you can ride at a reasonable rpm when cruising and when you want to have the bike rev, down shift.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tackled the cruise in the “just turning warm” months, because I knew I’d need a road test, but I hear you. It’s a project level task, not a simple maintenance chore and you have to do some fabricating - a mount for the cruise switch, which is about a 1.25 x 1.25 inch square with wires in the back. I heard a lot of people say just work your core, take the weight off your wrists, etc. Tried that. Tried a V2 also, and that just changes the frequency of the vibes, your hand still gets put to sleep. I’ve been to P/T for several injuries and have not yet been able to find something that helps the vibration issue where your hands fall asleep or get sore on a bike. The one thing you don’t want to happen is to have to sacrifice riding for this kind of injury or condition. This can be worked around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem is one you've created. My 04 had vibrations just over 4000rpm so either I cruised at exactly 4 or up at 5000. Riding around at 7-8000rpm is going to cause vibration, your in the upper end of the rev range right where the bike wants to make power. Why not hear the bike properly so that you can ride at a reasonable rpm when cruising and when you want to have the bike rev, down shift.
The main reason I geared down is because the bike is geared too high for me to comfortably ride in town. I'll also add that it's a lot of fun riding in the rpm ranges where the power is made and it's nice going just a bit slower while doing so. And I love hearing her talk dirty to me at 10K

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anywhere from 20 minutes to work to all day. They'd go numb mostly around 7-9k really fast but like I said before I do have manageable carpal tunnel so thought maybe that played a part. Just put on 719 progrips after work and rode e 20 minutes home. All but gone now. Not enough for me to complain about anyway. Thanks all.
Happy that you found a solution. Now just get the RPMs up over 10K :badteeth:

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
Forgive me for not understanding your post. Are you saying if a person has carpal forget about trying to fix the vibrations of the bike. Or are you saying it's not the bike that is the problem?
Must be you riding not dialed in; riding tight on the grips. Bunch of stuff in that department. Your heli bar comment and the carpel tunnel point are two factors; a third is your comment about city riding and gearing up. I keep the 17 but run 39,40,42,43 and 44 and never noticed much difference in anything except sweating fuel with the two uppers sizes. I ride a lot. A lot. I occasionally notice certain wind types vib and road quality may cause vibs but I ride mostly trash roads here in CA. All roads are ignored here so used to it but mine are the very worst. Even slabs are the worst here. I don't even notice all the bumps unless I forget about that stupid ball whackers that remind me where they're at. When tires wear out they do feel a little harder but no vibs there, either.

For sure 10r is no city bike no matter what sprockets. But it can go fast in 1st no matter the gearing.

g4's are smooth as glass

1 - 20 of 26 Posts