Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any input from anyone that has turbo'd their 10 more specifically their gen 4. I dont see anyone really making a kit for them so Im guessing im gonna have to have everything made custom for it. Anything i should look into before i go through with dropping 1700 bucks on a turbo? Ive kinda got my mind set on a comp turbo their CT2 ceramic bearing and oilless turbo, are there others i should look into? Im not looking to tear into the motor quite yet so Im shooting for the 250 range with stock internals then maybe down the road ill through some internal upgrades at her. Any information would help greatly on the subject. Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Looking for any input from anyone that has turbo'd their 10 more specifically their gen 4. I dont see anyone really making a kit for them so Im guessing im gonna have to have everything made custom for it. Anything i should look into before i go through with dropping 1700 bucks on a turbo? Ive kinda got my mind set on a comp turbo their CT2 ceramic bearing and oilless turbo, are there others i should look into? Im not looking to tear into the motor quite yet so Im shooting for the 250 range with stock internals then maybe down the road ill through some internal upgrades at her. Any information would help greatly on the subject. Thanks

You could try Schnitz racing or ATP if their still in business. ATP-American turbo pack. A 250 hp hit is really gonna stress your bottom end.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
250hp from what sort of baseline? Given that a set of dyno's can be anywhere in the neighborhood of 30hp different from one another, it's worth mentioning.

That said, you can spend a lot less on a good turbo. A GT28RS with the .64 A/R turbine housing would work very well, and leave a lot of room to grow into the 300+ hp range if you desire.... and they can be had for a 1K brand new. If you were keeping the output well below 30 lb/min of air you could you something in the GT25 range (SR20DET turbos) for an excellent quick-spooling streetbike (at the expense of peak HP #'s).... it all depends on what you plan to do with said machine. The Comp turbo's are kinda neat, but you have no idea what the compressor efficiency looks like, and an oil-less housing isn't worth 700 bucks in my book. Garrett is the standard IMHO, and I've never been disappointed with one of their turbo's when it was matched to the application correctly.

If you inject water and/or intercool the thing, you can safely run 7-8ish psi (50% increase in baseline hp) all day on a good pump gas tune. The motor internals should be fine at or below that.... though your clutch might not be as forgiving. If you aren't going to run any sort of intercooling you might want to be reeeal conservative on any tuneups over 5psi.... easy to melt stuff after that point on a stock motor.

Advice: Spend good money on your fuel system, engine management, and tune-up.... far more important than which brand of turbo you pick.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah theres no way i could get the bike to them to have them do it. I contacted them about just sending the parts over here but they said they wouldnt do that.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yeah theres no way i could get the bike to them to have them do it. I contacted them about just sending the parts over here but they said they wouldnt do that.
What! They wouldn't ship the kit???

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, i asked them if they would just ship the kit without the pcV and sfm since i have both of them already and they sent me this long email that says its not as easy as just slapping on a turbo kit and went into all this stuff about what they did to theirs to get 400 hp out of theirs. I told them I just wanted the kit that was good for 270 hp and then after they sent all that I said I know its not easy just "slapping" it on but I work on bikes everyday and have acouple mechanic and tuning buddies that would help so i could get it on. I got nothing back after that.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^Wow, that's insane! To me it sounds like they want it in house because the kit isn't up to standards of being mass produced. I had a turbo car for 6 years with a kit, and it isn't rocket science installing it. The biggest deal is the tuning and making sure it runs ok.

Reactions: SpazOnaZX

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah looks like Im gonna have to build custom. Im gonna water cool the turbo but I like the option of being oilless makes it super easy to mount wherever and don't have to worry about running oil lines. Ill have to start a build thread once i get the turbo

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Water cooling the turbo CHRA is not something you need or something that will benefit the build on this type of motorcycle application.... you can do it, but you'll be wasting time/money/simplicity.

Running an oil line is not hard, and it does not prevent how you can mount the turbo (Well, you have to mount it so the shaft is parallel to the ground, but did you plan on doing it any other way?). Doing the drain and the lines is a little intensive, but done properly it works like gangbusters..... Using an oil-less CHRA in this application is simply trading a little bit of easy for nearly 800 dollars. If you're willing to go on faith that the compressor is right for your application (You have to... they don't publish compressor maps) and you have the 800 bucks to to trade so you don't have to run a couple oil lines, go ahead.... it's just not something I would do on my budget. :)

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
For those who are interested in the turbo kit for the 4th gen contact me. Only if you are 100% certain and have cash for it.

We're looking at flying Jack over and installing a few kits here in Minnesota where they'll be built, installed and tuned. We already have one he'll be flying over to do but are going to be pitching the idea of him staying a little bit longer and doing more than one bike, if interest is there. He'll obviously need (and want) to be compensated for his time along with the shipments of the kits over to us. Expect this to be a bare minimum cost of $6000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts