Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Gen 4 altered enough so that it's not a direct drop in.

First major mod is stripping the head down and cutting away material to let the new cam swing around.

Second is spending the time figuring out the new shim heights are required and shimming.

Sounds easy...not really, but easy enough.

How well will it work? not sure yet. But going from 9.1mm to 10.3mm should liven up the +3mm kit in my motor.

I suggest the stock Gen 4 intake cam. The race version leaves a bare minimum of clearances that race teams would not run...lol

Why not drop in a Gen 4 head and machine the hole for the cam sensor, sure, go ahead.

This is my latest ongoing adventure of mods,sure someone is going to chime in with their gazillion years of knowledge and know how and beat this project to a mess, but I don't care. I know the risks and total potential outcomes.

I just like doing this stuff.

Still looking for my pic of the modded head.....

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
update.

I have a stock Gen 4 intake on the way, so I have an OEM Race Gen 4 for sale if anyone knows someone who is wanting one.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recieved my stock Gen 4 cams yesterday, once again I was originally right on the intake cam differences. The base of the cam is 1mm thicker....more investigating to come.

Bonus, the exhaust cam is basically a Pinned Gen 1 intake cam....it has the tab for the sensor and there isn't any difference in the cam base circles.....interesting.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got around to putting the head on a bottom end and putting it in the bike.

The fuel map changed quite a bit for the midrange and some low revs, but WOT fueling is the same for the 1075cc kit as it is for the stock bore big cam head motor.

Not overly surprising, as the massive difference from stock 04 cams and 11+ cams.

sorting out some small oil leaks and need to set the valves and change plugs.....then it's off to the drag stip in 2 weeks to see how it works and compares.

Still looking for pics.......

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two weekends of drag racing and I removed the head to put on the race bottom end I made.

The intake cam looks mint, no crazy wear or funny spots.

The bottom end has 2011 rods and pistons, and lightened crank, with 08 first gear.

adjusted the cams for peak compression and PTV clearance.

buttoned up and ready to be reinstalled tomorrow AM.

:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a smoking deal on 11+ springs and retainers.....dropped right in.

Only challenge is modding the buckets and shortening the valves for the girth of the intake.....exhaust is a drop in mod.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
How much of a difference in power does it feel like? Whats the difference in duration?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
post some time slips.
next weekend.........I have a good baseline of how the bike was working with the head........averaging 1.6 60ft.....118mph 1/8th.....and 144mph........hot summer weekends , crap air.

This weekend coming up will be degreed cams, bumped compression and cool early fall air....

The methanol/gas(50/50) mix proved as every bit as pump gas, but the motor ran ALOT cooler. Never going back to regular gas for drag racing again.

I have a spare 04 head I would alter if anyone was truely interested in this sort of upgrade

1 - 16 of 16 Posts