Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Formerly "bms"
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently sold my gen 4 and was wondering if any of you have made the switch from a gen 4 to an r1 and have rode the new r1 itself. I know it's down on power compared to the gen 5 but mainly want it for the exhaust note and nimbleness. I heard they're a blast to ride. Will be riding on the street mostly with a few track days a year. Give me some input :ayyy:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've ridden a 2015 R1 a few times and I ride/race a gen4 ZX10. For primarily street riding, I don't think the R1 is a great choice. I'd sooner buy an S1000rr for that type of riding. I've put a couple hundred miles on a 2012 BMW and it's plenty fast and very comfortable. I have not ridden a gen5 yet so I really can't comment. My gen4 was a great street bike and it's working well as a race bike, too.

The R1 just feels like a race bike to me. Very aggressive riding position, snatchy throttle, hard seat, buzzy bars and rearsets... The engine revs really fast, like it needs a heavier flywheel. Makes stop and go traffic a pain in the ass, it stalls very easily. None of these things would be a problem at the track, but its annoying on the street. They are "a blast to ride" for about 15 minutes, after that it felt like a chore. I used to ride my 10r for an entire day on the street and only stop for gas. No tingly hands, numb feet or monkey butt.

I'm not brand-loyal, just telling it the way I see it. I don't think any of the modern liter bikes are "down on power" unless you're into mile-long drag races. In that case, I have a feeling that the BMW and gen5 would come out on top after a slip-on, flash and tune.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I've ridden a 2015 R1 a few times and I ride/race a gen4 ZX10. For primarily street riding, I don't think the R1 is a great choice. I'd sooner buy an S1000rr for that type of riding. I've put a couple hundred miles on a 2012 BMW and it's plenty fast and very comfortable. I have not ridden a gen5 yet so I really can't comment. My gen4 was a great street bike and it's working well as a race bike, too.

The R1 just feels like a race bike to me. Very aggressive riding position, snatchy throttle, hard seat, buzzy bars and rearsets... The engine revs really fast, like it needs a heavier flywheel. Makes stop and go traffic a pain in the ass, it stalls very easily. None of these things would be a problem at the track, but its annoying on the street. They are "a blast to ride" for about 15 minutes, after that it felt like a chore. I used to ride my 10r for an entire day on the street and only stop for gas. No tingly hands, numb feet or monkey butt.

I'm not brand-loyal, just telling it the way I see it. I don't think any of the modern liter bikes are "down on power" unless you're into mile-long drag races. In that case, I have a feeling that the BMW and gen5 would come out on top after a slip-on, flash and tune.
I disagree. Clip-ons, windshield, rearsets and a better seat will help the riding position. The jerky throttle is an easy fix. Get a better gearing and flash the ECU.. you have a very potent street/track days whore. :headshake:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I disagree. Clip-ons, windshield, rearsets and a better seat will help the riding position. The jerky throttle is an easy fix. Get a better gearing and flash the ECU.. you have a very potent street/track days whore. :headshake:
Well, I haven't ridden a 2015+ R1 with any of that stuff installed. Maybe you have, and maybe it completely changes the characteristics of the bike. I don't know, and I don't like to speculate on shit that I don't have first hand knowledge of. As delivered, the new R1 is not a great street bike. The S1000rr is, and its a very capable track bike at the same time without a laundry list of required modifications to make it bearable on the street.

For its intended purpose (which is racing) the new R1 is very good. If I needed a new race bike tomorrow, it would either be the R1 or a new 10r. I don't really ride on the street any more so I don't care whether it has street manners. If I did, the R1 would be off my radar immediately.

I know from first hand experience that the BMW is a really good dual purpose motorcycle, and the R1 (as delivered) is more track-focused. You can disagree if you don't see it that way. The OP didn't ask about the BMW, I just suggested it because he stated that he mostly rides on the street. Like I said, I am not brand loyal and I am only relaying my own experiences. I'm guessing that your gen4 is up for sale so that you can get a new R1... Sorry if I hurt your feelings about the R1.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Well, I haven't ridden a 2015+ R1 with any of that stuff installed. Maybe you have, and maybe it completely changes the characteristics of the bike. I don't know, and I don't like to speculate on shit that I don't have first hand knowledge of. As delivered, the new R1 is not a great street bike. The S1000rr is, and its a very capable track bike at the same time without a laundry list of required modifications to make it bearable on the street.

For its intended purpose (which is racing) the new R1 is very good. If I needed a new race bike tomorrow, it would either be the R1 or a new 10r. I don't really ride on the street any more so I don't care whether it has street manners. If I did, the R1 would be off my radar immediately.

I know from first hand experience that the BMW is a really good dual purpose motorcycle, and the R1 (as delivered) is more track-focused. You can disagree if you don't see it that way. The OP didn't ask about the BMW, I just suggested it because he stated that he mostly rides on the street. Like I said, I am not brand loyal and I am only relaying my own experiences. I'm guessing that your gen4 is up for sale so that you can get a new R1... Sorry if I hurt your feelings about the R1.
Cyclo.. common lol! All I was saying is that you cannot really judge a stock bike fresh from the factory. The aftermarket is always there! I hate the shoot-outs from magazines for the same reason. I didn't ride much the last few years being busy with life. I am selling mine because I am taking a break from riding this season. Starting a business and trying to narrow my focus.. but like Terminator I would be back. I am not a brand loyalist as well. I can ride them all!

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
I would just like to say that I AM brand loyal! It is team green or nothin! Everybody else can go straight to hell with an EZ-pass! Ok now that we got that outta the way, I think you should just get a H2 an call it a day.:beer:

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I would just like to say that I AM brand loyal! It is team green or nothin! Everybody else can go straight to hell with an EZ-pass! Ok now that we got that outta the way, I think you should just get a H2 an call it a day.:beer:

You talk like a Christian! LOL0:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cyclo.. common lol! All I was saying is that you cannot really judge a stock bike fresh from the factory. The aftermarket is always there! I hate the shoot-outs from magazines for the same reason. I didn't ride much the last few years being busy with life. I am selling mine because I am taking a break from riding this season. Starting a business and trying to narrow my focus.. but like Terminator I would be back. I am not a brand loyalist as well. I can ride them all!
No worries. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
569 Posts
I switched from a 2015 R1 to a Gen 5. I don't have time to post all of what I want to say right now. But I will post tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance. The long and short is the Gen 5 ZX10r and the New R1 are both great bikes. Can't go wrong with either. Both have all the electronic rider aids. R1 is definitely less comfortable and more twitchy throttle out of the box. Stock setting I can flat foot the zx10 where I could only tip toe the r1.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had the new R1 for a weekend as my mate owns a Yamaha dealer. While it was smooth and very nimble, I realised at that point I couldn't own one for the road. I'd be in jail within the hour.
When entering a freeway, we all pin it in first to get that powerband rush, like having a drag of a ciggie. But the R1 never gave me the hit. It just kept pulling and all of a sudden I was doing 145 and I hadn't yet got my buzz.
If I could afford to have one simply for the track, then hell yeah. But as a road bike? I personally couldn't do it.

Powerwise, everything I've seen is both the Gen 5 and R1 are putting out 172 at the rear. R1 just makes its power differently.

*This was an R1 with the full Akro titanium/carbon system. So it may have changed the delivery.

·
Registered
569 Posts
In my opinion the zx10 is more comfortable than the r1. However at 5'9" and 160 lbs I felt right at home on the R1. It was never uncomfortable in the sense most supersports are uncomfortable. That being said, the body positioning on the R1 in much more aggressive in stock form. You are learned over the tank more and your feet are higher up. To me it is tuff to drive any 200hp supersport on the street. They are all geared tall and redline 1st gear will put you at or over 100mph. But the zx10R's throttle makes riding in traffic much smoother compared to the R1. The R1 has four power modes A-D. A-B have the same power, but the throttle is very snatchy in A mode. It makes it harder to hold a consistent speed. I usually rode around in B, which was slightly less sensitive than A mode. However, an ecu flash seems to help the twitchy throttle problems. Some would replace the throttle tube/ motion pro like set ups.

I have found the power in the zx10r to be all up top in the revs. I am trying to get used to the lack of power/torque under 7,000 rpms. But I already knew of this from reading the reviews. It was actually done on purpose by kawasaki to reduce wheeling out of corners. Like said above the R1 seems to just take off with really smooth power band. I had the two bro's S1R on the R1 and I have the same on the ZX10R. The two brothers is much louder on the R1 (both replace the cat btw). I would guess it was maybe 3-4 DB louder on the R1, at least under 8,000 Rpms. But I have no idea which one would be louder at WOT in the upper end of the rpms. They both put down high 160's to low 170's stock, is US trim. The R1's european version seem to come with less restrictions and make more power stock. But with a cat replacement exhaust and flash the R1 will put down 185-190. The manufactures claim 197-R1 & 207-ZX10R. The R1 is 10-15 lbs lighter.

They both come with RS10's, which I personally love for their stickiness. They grip better than Q3, but they will wear out faster. I got about 2,000 miles out of a rear RS10 on the R1 and twice that on the front tire. But I don't commute on these bikes, so I am okay with the added grip for the street.

The electronics are very similar. I love how easy the lap timer is on the zx10r. On the r1 it is a pia to quickly activate and manipulate. The quick shifter seems to be smoother on the R1 also. I haven't tried the KEBC yet on the zx10R, the R1 didn't have that feature. As for lift control, the R1 allows you to select from different levels of intervention. However, on the zx10r you can only change the traction control 1-4 modes to adjust how much the front wheel will lift. The LCD display on the R1 is amazing, hands down. The headlights on the R1 are LED and much nicer than the halogens on the zx10R. The R1 has quick fasteners OEM for the fairings.

The 2016 R1's should not have any transmission problems. If you have any questions I am happy to try and answer them for you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
IMO the R1 is seriously uncomfortable and, regardless of any performance or other factors, is the reason I would never own one.

I do too much commuting to ride Yamaha sport bikes. The R6 is pretty darned uncomfortable too.

I came from Suzuki which was fairly comfortable but just a tad more cramped than the Kawi.

The big negative for my Kawi is the seat. Its much harder than Honda or Suzuki.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts