Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Looking for advice from people much wiser than me.

One of my fork seals is leaking so it's time for a rebuild. I've never had to tackle this issue before so I'm going to pull the fork and take it to my local suspension shop this spring. I've been doing some research and reading threads on the topic lately and I'm still left confused which is why I'm seeking advice.

First off, with 3 kids and a budget, an Ohlins FGRT200 fork isn't an option unless it falls out of the sky. A used FGK216 cartridge kit would be my #1 option for $600-$700USD. However, I've found that Andreani and Racetech make $300USD valve kits for the BPF. My local suspension shop seems adverse to Racetech but keen on Andreani products.

I'm 180lbs or 81kg and my riding is mostly highway commuting, sporty weekend riding and a couple easy paced trackdays every summer.

When you guys talk about re-valving a fork, does that mean inserting a $300 valve kit or altering the original OEM valves somehow? Do I want to get new springs even though the Racetech spring calculator puts my weight right into the spec for the OEM springs? I understand that OEM springs may be progressive and we want linear springs instead.

My thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Couple things.

The RT calculator springs heavy. I got this info straight from Paul's mouth when I attend their suspension school. Generally if I have to use the calculator I always go a rate lighter than what is advised. Also talk to your suspension shop about spring recommendations.

The RT piston kits aren't what they used to be (quality) and can be VERY finicky if you dont know what you're doing. I personally have not installed a Andreani Piston kit, but I have heard very good things about them (especially on the 2016+) and I would go Andreani over the RT kit every time.

If you can find a used or great deal on a Ohlins kit, do it. A cartridge kit will ALWAYS be better than a piston kit. Components are better, better support, more adjustability.

Revalving in the road world generally means swapping out the piston and the stack; in dirt, its usually just the stack.

One last thing to remember. Getting advise from a forum from a bunch of strangers is ok, but you really need to talk and trust your suspension shop and their recommendations. Heres why. The shop that you are spending money at has a knowledge base in certain products. If you go off a recommendation from someone else, you may not get the best performance out of that product because your shop may not be 100% familiar with the product. This in no way means your shop is incompetent, they may just not be proficient enough in that particular product to give you the best support. If you trust him enough to do the work, trust his opinion. I promise you will come out ahead EVERY time then listening to forum "experts".

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice and thanks for the comment on the RT spring rates. Whatever I do, I'll buy springs recommended by the shop.

I think my options in terms of preference are like this:

1. A good condition used FGRT200 fork for around $1,200-1,300? A long shot but worth putting on my credit card if one comes up at that price. Hopefully it'd be sprung for my weight but I could try selling off the original springs if not.
2. Used Ohlins cartridges
3. Andreani valve kit
4. Just a re-build with new seals and also bushings if required
5. A new Ohlins cartridge kit.

I'm no longer considering any Racetech product.

Still looking for insight into the Andreani kit. I fully expect that this is the option I'll default to.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about brand spankin' new FGR Ohlins TTX25 Gas Carts for $700 (comes with 3 sets of springs)

Way overkill and might even work against you if you don't ride in a more race oriented manner, but they are priced right on closeout!
My gosh, that seems like quite a steal! From my (very) limited understanding of Ohlins products, the higher spec fork products require regular maintenance? I'm cautious of regular service intervals (limited time and garage space) because my Ninja is often used for commuting and I don't shy away from inclement weather. My bike is covered in road salt from riding during winter and I've only washed it 4 times since 2014. lol

If the TTX line is a set it and forget it type of product I would buy them right now.

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just (JUST) scored a set of used forks with NIX30 cartridges on Ebay for a little under $700 shipped. The spring rate is way too high for me but I'll buy springs and have the shop swap the guts over to my forks and put together another operational pair of forks + used springs to sell off to recoup some money. I won't be using the outers from the auction because they're a little blemished and mine are really clean.

Thanks for the solid advice fellas.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts