Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a gen 4 throttle body, wire harness and ECU are installed on a gen 5 engine, will a gen 4 gear position sensor work properly on the gen 5 engine? I've read that a gen 4 gearbox can be installed in a gen 5 engine and then the gen 4 gear position sensor will work. I'm wondering if the gen 4 gear position sensor will work with the gen 5 gearbox.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a bit more research I don't think that a gen 4 zx10r gear position sensor can work properly on a gen 5 without swapping gearbox/transmission components. I should have looked at the differences shown in the Kawi parts diagrams sooner; my bad. I attached the diagrams.

To restate my original question as a goal... I'd like to find a way to:
1) use gen 4 throttle bodies, gen 4 ecu and gen 4 wire harness on a gen 5 engine
2) have a functioning gear position sensor

The gen 4 and gen 5 gear-change drum assemblies differ significantly in the way that they integrate with their respective gear position sensors. The gen 4 design utilizes spring-loaded contacts/pins whereas the gen 5 design does not. The gen 4 and gen 5 gear position sensors and associated gearbox drum assemblies are very different and have different part numbers.
Gen 4 part numbers:
- Gear position sensor: 13151-0053
- Sensor contact/pin 92043-1654
- Contact/pin spring 92145-1414
- Gear change drum assembly: 13229-0559

Gen 5 part numbers:
- Gear position sensor: 21176-0820
- Sensor holder: 13280-0846
- Gear change drum assembly: 13239-0041

As anybody tried swapping a gen 4 gear change drum assembly into a gen 5 engine? Not an entire gen 4 gearbox; just the gen 4 gear-change drum. Is it a simple drum swap or are other changes required? Any other suggestions?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts