Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weighing only 67 kg / 148 lb with standard shock and springs, having correctly set the sag, I recently used the suspension settings from Sport Rider Dec 2011 ABS Comparison below.
For me it has transformed the handling. It feels far more planted, quicker turn-in with no more TC induced rear axle hop from fast acceleration in low gears. The latter presumably from the increased high speed compression damping. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi Quantum.

Are you using this for street, track, or both?

I'm about 64kg, no gear. I checked my sags (with gear) with stock settings, had 25mm front, 35mm rear.
I am now 3 turns in from full soft on the forks and 12mm thread showing on preloads... That gives me about 25-27mm of sag both ends...

The one ride I've had, it feels better...

PS: I only just got the bike and am starting the adjusting...

Interesting enough is that the owners manual and service manual standard settings for the rear shock compression, don't match...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm really keen to set mine up correctly... Any tips for a beginner?

Currently everything is set to service manual standard... I am wondering about the fork tube showing above the top triple though? We don't have that on the G4 do we?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Quantum.

Are you using this for street, track, or both?

I'm about 64kg, no gear. I checked my sags (with gear) with stock settings, had 25mm front, 35mm rear.
I am now 3 turns in from full soft on the forks and 12mm thread showing on preloads... That gives me about 25-27mm of sag both ends...

The one ride I've had, it feels better...

PS: I only just got the bike and am starting the adjusting...

Interesting enough is that the owners manual and service manual standard settings for the rear shock compression, don't match...
I have two bikes, one road and the other track. I presently have them both set per above. Somewhat firm on the road but for me way better than stock.

I'm really keen to set mine up correctly... Any tips for a beginner?

Currently everything is set to service manual standard... I am wondering about the fork tube showing above the top triple though? We don't have that on the G4 do we?
After setting the sag http://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/dave-moss-unsprung-setting-sag which is somewhat painful.
I have the front sag at 38 mm on full soft - for my weight and the rear 33 mm (30 track). With zip ties on the fork tubes and a full dry road ABS stop the max fork compression is still 10mm from bottoming.

For the hydraulic damping, as a starting point I'd suggest setting per above.

To improve tip-in, you can then raise the fork tubes. An alternative that taller & heavier riders have done is to shim the rear shock.
Search - from memory there were many posts on this back in 2011.

Cheers
Rod

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thanks for that.

I guess I'll keep playing with my setup...

Just a quick reply too. The forks are supposed to be 11mm exposed from factory, according to the service manual, just had a look... Page 13-11. So Lumiera, hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
I have never tried that. I will when I get back on a saddle.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.

I guess I'll keep playing with my setup...

Just a quick reply too. The forks are supposed to be 11mm exposed from factory, according to the service manual, just had a look... Page 13-11. So Lumiera, hope that answers your question.
The 11mm spec in the manual includes the cap which is 7mm. Hence exposing 11mm of fork tube raises them by 7mm from standard.

·
Registered
971 Posts
This is what we mean...

The service manual gives the dimension from the top triple clamp to the top of the fork, as 11mm. As you can see, mine is on 10mm.

What Quantum is saying, is the fork cap is 6-7mm, so the fork leg needs to come out until it's at 11mm, meaning the fork top dimension will be 17-18mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what we mean...

The service manual gives the dimension from the top triple clamp to the top of the fork, as 11mm. As you can see, mine is on 10mm.

What Quantum is saying, is the fork cap is 6-7mm, so the fork leg needs to come out until it's at 11mm, meaning the fork top dimension will be 17-18mm.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
232 Posts
dropping the forks that much is loonacy.
a movement of a mm will show drastic changes
get on feel the track with Dave Moss. that bike willl head shake like a mother when hard on the gas.
rake and trail are reasonably close to the right specs on the G4 but older models do need a bit
i have a gen 2 and 8 to 10mm through the forks is required to track it but the g4 a 1mm movement would achieve the same sort of result.

·
Registered
971 Posts
On my second Gen2, I had a 10mm spacer above the rear shock. It handled awesome.

On the Gen4, I have my forks raised 5mm in the triples and a 4.5mm spacer above the shock. Handles fine. My rear shock is max'd out on rebound though, so a bit compromised. I do have a spare shock to try.

I'm also waiting for a set of Pirelli race take-offs. That should sweeten the handling even more (I hope)...

Oh yeah, my damper is set mid-way... Not a single head-shake yet... (touch wood).

Another thing to add... I've got 11mm thread showing on the rear shock and my forks are as soft as they can be (3/4 turn of preload)...

Reactions: mpp12

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
dropping the forks that much is loonacy.
a movement of a mm will show drastic changes
get on feel the track with Dave Moss. that bike willl head shake like a mother when hard on the gas.
rake and trail are reasonably close to the right specs on the G4 but older models do need a bit
i have a gen 2 and 8 to 10mm through the forks is required to track it but the g4 a 1mm movement would achieve the same sort of result.
To start with, the original spec is 11 mm including the 6.5 mm cap. Accordingly the change is 6.5 mm, not 11 mm.
Lunacy? On both the road and my track bike are fine for me. No head-shake landing at >200 km/h WOT on an uneven track (re-valved steering damper on 5 clicks from closed).
Others have shimmed the rear shock that in addition to rear geometry changes will also make similar caster changes. I have not done so.

·
Registered
971 Posts
10turns out from full stiff on fork preload,I feel it's too soft, what do u guys think?
What's your rider sag? Are you bottoming the forks out under heavy braking? Does it feel like it wants to tuck on corners?

I have mine almost all the way out... As in 3/4 turn in from full soft. It depends on weight, what you like from a bike, etc...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts