Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some input on removing the counterbalancing shaft. Someone tried it? According to the manual, there is no need to split the motor just removing the oil pan and you can pull off the counterbalancer, correct?

Attachments

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
Looks pretty simple. Any known adverse affects? I've done this on a car motors and didn't realize you could do this on a bike. I'd love to know if this was a simple mod that doesn't have any severe adverse effects!

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
Reduce the rotating mass. APE makes a dummy balance shaft for the Gen4 that simply installs in place of the factory unit. Retails for $30.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pros are faster rev motor. Cons are additional vibrations. I am not sure how this feels and looking for someone for expirience. Archer did that but is not in the forum anymore...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks pretty simple. Any known adverse affects? I've done this on a car motors and didn't realize you could do this on a bike. I'd love to know if this was a simple mod that doesn't have any severe adverse effects!
I am willing to do it in case no splitting cases is required. If just the oil pan needs to go, ok, I am in but if not, no bueno. If you can hande some vibrations then you are ok I guess. Need an input from someone that rode this :grin2:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Iv build a G4 motor removing the balance shaft & fitted the APE shaft, but i also had the crank lightened balanced and edged at the same time, now i never rode that bike but the owner said he could feel a difference in vibration but it wasn't prohibitive in long road rides generally he was very pleased with the way the motor spins up faster on road and track. But that was with a balanced crank, and as the motor was built as a package i couldn't tell you what real power gains there were (if any)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I put the APE dummy shaft in my bike a few days ago while the motor was out. It was as simple as undoing those 2 bolts and pulling it out. I did have a bit of a hard time getting the shaft out, ended up grabbing it with a pair of vice grips and hit the vice grips with a hammer as I figured I'm not putting it back in anyways lol

Cheapest 1.5lbs of weight savings I think I've done to the bike :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put the APE dummy shaft in my bike a few days ago while the motor was out. It was as simple as undoing those 2 bolts and pulling it out. I did have a bit of a hard time getting the shaft out, ended up grabbing it with a pair of vice grips and hit the vice grips with a hammer as I figured I'm not putting it back in anyways lol

Cheapest 1.5lbs of weight savings I think I've done to the bike :grin2:
can this be done without dropping to motor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts