Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states, I'm turning my Gen 4 ZX10 into a track bike and looking for some suspension advice. I have another street bike so this bike will be track only. Currently as the bike sits, it's on 100% factory suspension and looking to change that. I've done a couple track days and typically within the top 10 of the intermediate class. Looking to upgrade my suspension so I can run at a faster pace.

I see a lot of people using Ohlins and some using Penske. I also see some people using an aftermarket rear link (Kyle, MSS, Attack) along with the rear shock, but I read that the valving needs to be changed and some people do/some people don't. Looking for advice from people who are track day regulars and/or racers. What do you guys think?

As for front forks, I most likely will re-valve and re-spring my factory forks. Traxxion Dynamics are local to me so I'll probably have them do it as I'm trying to spend majority of my budget on the rear.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Elka rear shock and stock forks, though i would like to upgrade to an ohlinx ttx rear shock sometime in the future and also upgrade the forks.

Depends on your budget, how you want to spend your money, and if you plan to race, what classes you want to race in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Gen IV has been track only almost since purchase and have it set up perfectly for me. The rear shock was replaced with a TTX and 0% Kyle link (I'm <160lbs), shock length is currently at 311mm (+2 over stock) and was not revalved. The bike comes off corners like a rocket but does have a tendency to spin when tire grip is diminishing. Front forks were replaced with Ohlins R&T at stock ride height and they are better but the difference was not as dramatic as the rear. Turn in on this bike is a bit slow but feel and stability are pretty high so I live with it. Overall I'm very happy with the set up and have set PB lap times at all the tracks I frequent. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you want a cheap quick fix you can pick up a 5th gen rear Showa shock. Theres one in the classifieds right now for only $100? You need different links to run them though. Message ukzx10r he makes conversion links and also ships them out with shims for a great price.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You'll get a thousand different answers. Here's what I tell people that ask for my advice when in a different area.

Anyone can buy and install suspension, that part is easy. TUNING suspension is the hard part. Instead of asking people on here, find a tuner that will be at YOUR track events. Contact them and ask them to put a package together within your budget and what they recommend. Now when your having trouble trackside you can go straight to them and get help.

There is nothing worse than when someone brings their bike to me asking for help and they have NO idea what's inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts