Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I know I have mentioned a few times (lots) that I am running the Texas Mile this October. Well I am heading out in the moring to get down there and set up before Friday when we start runs. I have a couple questions for you guys who have done some land speed racing.

What should I look for as a tops speed on the Gen 4?

Here is what I am working with..
I have dropped down from 223 lbs to 192 lbs but I am unsure what I weigh in gear. My bike is putting down 181 HP at the rear wheel, I am taking multipe sprockets with me Up 1 front and all the way down to three down in the rear. My ECU has been flashed and the RPMS bumped to 13850 and the top speed limiter bumped to like 220 (I'll never see that). Shorty Exhaust with mid pipe, BMC race filter, Custom Map, 2nd flys removed, and I am dropping the bike in the rear and strapping the front, along with removing any thing extra I do not need on her (mirrors/passanger pegs). I am taking 93 Oct Pump gas and VP fuel is brining me 5 gals of MR12 (should be good for around 8hp and maybe 2 or 3 mph).

So all that said I am hoping for 193mph, I know odd number but thats what I have in my head. What do y'all think? Top Speed? Anything else I can do to get a little more out of her?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
you should borrow a busa fender from a buddy, that will help out.

do you have a stock windscreen or no? a double bubble will help get you out of the wind.

if your running MR12 you need to tune for that fuel or you wull be running lean, I have found from switching to MR12 from pump its almost damn near close to needing 8-9% fuel EVERYWHERE on your map so that might give you a good baseline for tuning otherwise you will run it lean up top.

you honestly could probably run a 18/39 and with those revs get close to 200mph...

if I were you I'd consider just putting on 17/37 gearing.

if you run the 18t you will have to shorten your chain up (wheelbase) you want to keep it long so you dont have any wheelie issues even though lowered you should be ok but it doesnt hurt to keep it longer.

if your running it with traction control on keep an eye on it at top speed's you dont want it kicking on when your going that fast iof you have any ront wheel hop what so ever so maybe run it with it off.

your bike will make great power and go fast, your just going to be fighting your own weight.

good luck!!! I'm truly jealous your going, I'd be there but my company took a big loss and I'm brok for now lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you should borrow a busa fender from a buddy, that will help out.

do you have a stock windscreen or no? a double bubble will help get you out of the wind.

if your running MR12 you need to tune for that fuel or you wull be running lean, I have found from switching to MR12 from pump its almost damn near close to needing 8-9% fuel EVERYWHERE on your map so that might give you a good baseline for tuning otherwise you will run it lean up top.

you honestly could probably run a 18/39 and with those revs get close to 200mph...

if I were you I'd consider just putting on 17/37 gearing.

if you run the 18t you will have to shorten your chain up (wheelbase) you want to keep it long so you dont have any wheelie issues even though lowered you should be ok but it doesnt hurt to keep it longer.

if your running it with traction control on keep an eye on it at top speed's you dont want it kicking on when your going that fast iof you have any ront wheel hop what so ever so maybe run it with it off.

your bike will make great power and go fast, your just going to be fighting your own weight.

good luck!!! I'm truly jealous your going, I'd be there but my company took a big loss and I'm brok for now lol
Thanks for replying Garth,
I do have a double bouble I for got to add that and as for the MR12 I was going to bump up my fuel on the top in to run it but I am glade you reminded me I need to do that tonight on my home pc. As far as shortneing my chain I am a little confused. the 18 tooth is bigger than the 17 tooth why would that make me need to shorten the chain. I was planing on running as many combos as I can with stock chain as far as gearing goes, I was told that 18/37 would fit with stock chain is that wrong? I will get some good video on my gopro and d my best to put it on here (not computer smart at all lol). so you think close to 200 mph is possible? :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey guys and sorry about the bad typing and run on sentences. Lack of food, sleep and pure excitment has me skitzing out of my mind. I feel like I did when I was a kid with ADHD..

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Thanks for replying Garth,
I do have a double bouble I for got to add that and as for the MR12 I was going to bump up my fuel on the top in to run it but I am glade you reminded me I need to do that tonight on my home pc. As far as shortneing my chain I am a little confused. the 18 tooth is bigger than the 17 tooth why would that make me need to shorten the chain. I was planing on running as many combos as I can with stock chain as far as gearing goes, I was told that 18/37 would fit with stock chain is that wrong? I will get some good video on my gopro and d my best to put it on here (not computer smart at all lol). so you think close to 200 mph is possible? :)
yeah I think so for sure. with my stock ECU I went 201mph :)

as the chain... I meant if your adding a tooth on the front sprocket you will have to move your rear wheel forward (shortening chain) so if you go with a 17/37 you will still see that more mph but keep the rear wheel further back in the swing arm

now these mphs are gunna be off maybe 1-2mph depending on tire wear but here are some mph's they should be close I have a gearing calculator that I dialed in to actual speeds the only thing is I'm revving higher but I adjusted for your revs

17/39 - 198mph
17/38 - 203mph
17/37 - 208mph
17/36 - 214mph
18/39 - 209mph

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
wait a second.... I just saw 13,850 rpm's

stock rpms are 13500 so your only over revving 350rpm's is this correct?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it seems closer to 14000 but he said he just bumped it up by 350.. Whats yours set at? Oh also I will be running a brand new 190/55/17 tire.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
OK cool.... I'm revving to 14,500 lol...

with that rpm heres about what you will get

17/39 - 191mph
17/38 - 196mph
17/37 - 201mph
17/36 - 207mph

18/39 - 202mph

If I were you I would run the 17/37 gearing and see how that plays out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
GOOD GOD MAN!!! 14500. Thats awesome I may have to see about getting mine bumped up some more. I know you have race cams so do you think my stock motor could hold the revs of 14500?

Also a few land speed guys have told me they think 18/37 woudl be the sweet spot. Do you mind if I ask what kinda torque your bike put down before the heads and cam work?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
lol yeah I'm sure it would, they arent as big anyways so you would be fine, you could go safe and just run 500-700 over?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn good info thanks man! I have a few friends that run as much as they can only thing is they are all turbo or bottle guys. Its funny i have been losing weight and they are all getting fatter cause the turbo dont really care they say lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am hoping the wind dies down. Its looking like some good gust liek last year and that sucks assssssss.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looking at the weather its 10 to 20 mph coming from SSE and the track runs due south.. so it will be a cross head and that SUCKS.. well if I dont run 193 I can always blame the wind lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am back! It was a wild and crazy weekend. Mr. Bill Warner went down early on and was careflighted out. He will be ok but did have some injuries that will take some time to get over. His bike was not trashed that bad though, just rashed up, it was the bike he ran 311 on in the 1.5 mile. My brother in law crashed his Factory 5 GTM after a 170+ mph run and he is fine too. (I missed his crash while I was working on my 10R) but his car is JACKED UP.

Ok now for me. I really wanted to go 190 and was hoping unrealistically for 200 but we had a killer head wind after 8 to 830am every morning. I ran a solid 186.5 MPH in a 17mph head wind and between 179 and 183 consistently. Did multiple change on the bike but never really got my suspension dialed in. I was lofting the front tire about a foot at the 1/4 mile mark and had horrible tire slip all the way down the track. I am thinking for next year I am going extend a few inchs and have a 40 shot and start looking for 200 mph. I am not a small guy, however I did lose down to 192 lbs but I have wide shoulders so I am like a sail in the wind behind that small wind screen. And let me tell you one thing this monster will for sure power wheely in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear lol!!!!!

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
186 is not bad man... A lot of people are unrealistic about top speeds.
But sounds like you had fun....

I was just commenting with my friend, how we need a mile track around here haha

Sorry to hear about your brother in law and Warner, hope both are ok.

Now where are the videos?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
186 not bad at all and with a head wind that strong , 193 should not a problem with no wind, job well done.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. I have a couple onboard videos to post later when I figure out how to edit them. I had to start recording while I was in line on the grid.

I only got a couple vids due to forgetting to turn on the GoPro lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts