Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m on my way to pick up my track only 2013 ZX10R.

It’s at Jett Tuning now for over a week, they tried everything to make it communicate, even with an old Windows XP computer.

-No communication with the CAN line.
-Running rich.
-Only made 153 hp on the base line run
-even the OBII diagnostic tool would not read

Seems to be in a protective mode?

Do I need a new Kit harness and Kit ECU?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The drive is 2.5 hours. Before I get there is there any questions I should ask the tuner??

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or should I just part the bike out?

Sucks for me...the brand new AiM dash arrives tomorrow and I would have been officially complete with the build.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woolich.

But on the stock ECU....only assuming though. I bought it with the Kit ECU and harness installed.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
474 Posts
Woolich.

But on the stock ECU....only assuming though. I bought it with the Kit ECU and harness installed.
I've read that those can lock the software but it would be irrelevant if it wasn't used on this ECU. Has the software interface worked before?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like JD41 said, Is there anybody local you know with a working computer / cable setup you could borrow?

I'm using version 1.6.0 of the Kawasaki FI Calibration tool on my Gen4. Make sure they are using the right version! I don't think the OBDII tools works with the kit ECU, so it makes me a little concerned that they wouldn't know that.

The stock calibration is rich. My tune pulls 13% out at higher rpms, and adds a couple degrees of spark, so that's probably a big part of the low power, but doesn't sound like that accounts for all of the low reading.

Good luck. Sounds like a frustrating situation.

Matt

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like JD41 said, Is there anybody local you know with a working computer / cable setup you could borrow?

I'm using version 1.6.0 of the Kawasaki FI Calibration tool on my Gen4. Make sure they are using the right version! I don't think the OBDII tools works with the kit ECU, so it makes me a little concerned that they wouldn't know that.

The stock calibration is rich. My tune pulls 13% out at higher rpms, and adds a couple degrees of spark, so that's probably a big part of the low power, but doesn't sound like that accounts for all of the low reading.

Good luck. Sounds like a frustrating situation.

Matt
I agree, I commented that a Kit ECU will not work with a OBII, of course they told me I was wrong and that they have tuned other Kit ECU/harness ZX10Rs and the diagnostic port and tool worked.

I honestly think it’s my cable or the computer they used.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The guy there said:

Green: clutch switch
White: OEM diagnostic port
Black: Kit Tuning port

Is that correct??

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Attempted with the above disc and cables. Bike would not talk with the computer.

Does that look like the correct cable for the Gen 4??

·
Registered
80 Posts
The black connector is correct. The interface cable part number is correct. On thing I do remember was make sure the RS232 port was set to port 4 on both the FI tool and the computer. You set it on the tool through the SET tab. I didn't have a problem but it seemed to be a common issue from what I remember.

One other thing to try is to load the drivers for the specific RS232 you are using. Or better yet, skip it all together and use the kit drivers and connect the USB directly.

168hp isn't bad without a tune. I'm guessing you'll be in the low 180's once you sort it out. My bike made 185hp after a rebuild on pump gas. 192 on MR12.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the details, partner.

Do I need a Windows XP laptop?

I’m guessing that 168 is on the Kit ECU factory zero map.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't think so. I'm using a Windows 10 laptop. I know others who have used Windows 7 too.

Yeah, I think you are running the base kit map as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts