Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone

Apologies if this has been addressed previously.
I have a 2015 ZX10R 30th Anniversary Edition.
Whenever the bike is parked in the sun, or if I take it out on a sunny day, I can hear the fuel pump constantly coming on for a few seconds and then goes off.
This is when the bike is back in my garage with the keys out the ignition.
If I open the tank, you will hear it release a bunch of pressure and the pump stops. Once I closed it again, the pump will start again after a while.

The dealer I bought the bike from said it was perfectly normal on these bikes.

Anybody else experienced this or knows what's going on?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
:lol: You're describing the fuel "burping"! Everyone who owns a Kawi has experienced it!

It has nothing to do with the mechanically and electrically controlled fuel pump. Lanister is exactly correct. The fuel pump won't come up without the ignition switch on or a short circuit in the pump somehow. You aren't hearing that at all.

As the fuel tank gets hot in the sun, the fuel expands. It pulls out the air. The air seeps past the fuel cap seal and it squeaks. You open the fuel cap and air pressure equalizes. The pump never turns on when doing that! It's all air noise! You can search and read the other 500 threads on here about that topic!

·
Registered
707 Posts
The fuel caps are also quite inconsistent I think. My buddy and I both have 2013 10Rs. Mine burps like crazy when hot and his never makes a sound.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am not sure if the fuel cap alone is responsible for the pressure equalization in the tank. There are 2 vents on the underside of the tank and I think a least one handles the pressure changes.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
I am not sure if the fuel cap alone is responsible for the pressure equalization in the tank. There are 2 vents on the underside of the tank and I think a least one handles the pressure changes.
There are 2 vent lines in the tank. One is the overfill line which lets fuel from the cap area (if it's overfilled) flow down under the bike and not over the tank and onto a hot motor and your crotch. The other is an air vent. As the pump sucks fuel from the tank, it has to let air in so the tank won't implode. But it won't let fuel slosh out. So, air in no air out. There's a simple check valve into. So if the tank tries to expand, the air goes out through the rubber cap seal. Blub...blub...blub...fart...wheeze!

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Report that the g4 does funny noises upon parked in the garage, all off, after running hard for four hours straight when conditions are on the warm side with tank never at total full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: You're describing the fuel "burping"! Everyone who owns a Kawi has experienced it!

It has nothing to do with the mechanically and electrically controlled fuel pump. Lanister is exactly correct. The fuel pump won't come up without the ignition switch on or a short circuit in the pump somehow. You aren't hearing that at all.

As the fuel tank gets hot in the sun, the fuel expands. It pulls out the air. The air seeps past the fuel cap seal and it squeaks. You open the fuel cap and air pressure equalizes. The pump never turns on when doing that! It's all air noise! You can search and read the other 500 threads on here about that topic!
Apologies for this, did a quick search for it and didn't find anything.
Ok cool, sounded more like a pump running rather than air trying to get out, so got a bit worried.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts