Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little back story on the bike.

2013 10r... Bought it from an idiot last fall. Didnt get to ride it cept the test ride until this spring. Over the winter I changed the clipons and did all the maintenance the previous owner didnt do. Got the bike out recently and the front end would rattle/clunk on bumps and was very bad when braking on other than a smooth surface. Immediately turned around and realized i had the clipons a tad high which kept the triple from completely seating. Did some adjustments and reset the upper triple and torqued the nut.

Long story short, the issue is still there. Double and triple checked to make sure the upper triple is correct and it is. A google search suggests its the steering head bearing, forks bottoming out internally.. etc

Ive checked for a loose bearing and seems fine... any ideas?

Thanks guys

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,664 Posts
How did you check the head bearings? That's usually what the issue is. You have to remove the upper triple and the lock collar. Then you need to get on the actual nut with a spanner wrench. There's no torque spec on it. It's a functional check to get rid of the clicking and making sure the steering isn't too tight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Sky. Sounds like head bearings. I had a similar sound when coming to a stop but I also would get head shake over uneven surfaces, I took it to my local dealer had them check the bearings. Guy said they were so lose that after removing the jam nut he tightened them down by hand before torqueing them. My bike is a 2015 with only 1k and I knew they would need checked with a service. Point is that if the PO didn't have services or maintenance done then they def need checked.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you check the head bearings? That's usually what the issue is. You have to remove the upper triple and the lock collar. Then you need to get on the actual nut with a spanner wrench. There's no torque spec on it. It's a functional check to get rid of the clicking and making sure the steering isn't too tight.
No movement when bike is up and I'm pulling and pushing on the front wheel. I'm pretty familiar on what it feels like if it's loose. I suppose it's possible I'm just not getting the right angle and whatever to get the movement to show. I'll go ahead and dig of a spanner wrench and start playing. Really don't wanna do a bearing if I don't have to lol. Though I'm starting to feel like it's a pretty good possibility.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mine was making a sound like this. It was the steering damper. They slap around quite bad. All i did was remove center bolt and fit a thin rubber washer underneath. Now steering damper silent.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured I'd give ya an update...

All fixed, at least so far it is. Pulled the triple off and grabbed the ole spanner and tightened the nut up a tad.. assuming that it was either loose from the factory or it loosened up because the upper triple wasn't snug. Either way, it's all good. Thanks guys.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,664 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is always amazing to me to see a brand new bike not setup correctly. I have seen a few with loose headset bearings. I pulled the upper triple on my Gen5 when I brought it home to confirm, even though the dealer was a friend. All was good. The biggest issue with this now that all bikes come with roller bearings is, all it takes is a couple hard landings from a wheelie and you can dent the race or worse. If not too bad you get some stiffness moving the bars, worse is if the dent is just slightly off-center and you fight to keep a straight line. I just helped a friend put in new races because he didn't have the headset adjusted correctly. He is a hooligan, that only knows how to ride on the back wheel, so this will probably happen again.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It is always amazing to me to see a brand new bike not setup correctly. I have seen a few with loose headset bearings. I pulled the upper triple on my Gen5 when I brought it home to confirm, even though the dealer was a friend. All was good. The biggest issue with this now that all bikes come with roller bearings is, all it takes is a couple hard landings from a wheelie and you can dent the race or worse. If not too bad you get some stiffness moving the bars, worse is if the dent is just slightly off-center and you fight to keep a straight line. I just helped a friend put in new races because he didn't have the headset adjusted correctly. He is a hooligan, that only knows how to ride on the back wheel, so this will probably happen again.
I fancy mine is a fraction loose.
My steering damper bracket wasnt very tight either.
When testing a gen5 the seering damper bracket came completely undone and the damper was catching the fork tops

·
Registered
29 Posts
I fancy mine is a fraction loose.
My steering damper bracket wasnt very tight either.
When testing a gen5 the seering damper bracket came completely undone and the damper was catching the fork tops
I have learned. I don't trust anyone, even on a new bike. I check all the bolts and clips to make sure. None of them will ever know what they have screwed up for the next guy. We are all human, so I take chance out of the way and confirm myself.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The biggest issue with this now that all bikes come with roller bearings is, all it takes is a couple hard landings from a wheelie and you can dent the race or worse.
You mean ball bearings. Some bikes used to come with tapered roller bearings. My FZR400 was one of them, rebuilt a few of those. Once you get them set, they stay set.

Ball bearings are cheaper, yes, but offer a lot less drag and if set perfectly work a lot better.

There are a few threads about this.

I myself wrote a very long description of the procedure to set up the steering bearings. Sounds like yours is way out. Many Gen 4's have this issue.

After my new frame was installed the tech did the steering bearings so perfectly they have not gone out. The factory seems to want to set them loose and they're supposed to be checked for play at the first service.

Clicking under braking is a sign they need attention.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts