Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I know the previous owner of my 2012 ZX had the ECU flashed, but don't know the specifics ie who did it, when etc. I know it's been flashed because I can shut off the KTRAC and it remains off when turning the bike off and back on again. I also know that the American models were restricted as opposed to European models. So, my question is: Does the ECU flash return the bike to European specs, or something more? I know there are "other" mods such as the KTRAC but from a purely power/performance standpoint, does the flash match, or exceed European model specs?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,042 Posts
This is a constant issue with people not knowing what a "flash" is. It's not something like you describe. A "reflash" is nothing more than changing the software and writing it back to the ECU. You can change anything in the software that you have access to through the software. You can change fueling tables, you can change ignition tables, you can change idle speed, you can change rev limits, you can ignore warning lights, and you can change throttle response. In most instances that is. So asking the question if it returns it "European specs" means nothing.

The Euro map had more aggressive specs than the slightly detuned US version did. So US model could use a Euro version of the fueling and ignition to add some power over the base version. But there is no such things as "the flash". It does none of those things. I can change a Euro map and "flash" it back to the ECU. I could change a US map and "flash" it back. I could tune the existing map and "flash" it back. I could take the stock US map and change the rev limit from 13,500rpm to 13,750rpm, flash the ECU with that change by itself, and that's my "flash".

There is no such thing as a single "flash" for the ECU. People asking you to mail the ECU to them to "reflash" it just means they have a generic one-size-fits-all software change that they have come up with something that will work and there's no guaranty on what's included. They could download the changes off the interweb, flash it to your ECU, and mail it back to you. So asking if the flash returns it to Euro specs or not is meaningless. It doesn't work like that and just because yours has been reflashed to retain the KTRC mode doesn't tell you anything else about it. That may be the only change on it. You won't know anything else about it other than it's been flashed unless you can contact the person who did the reflash or read the software yourself to see.

Reactions: mte78

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a constant issue with people not knowing what a "flash" is. It's not something like you describe. A "reflash" is nothing more than changing the software and writing it back to the ECU. You can change anything in the software that you have access to through the software. You can change fueling tables, you can change ignition tables, you can change idle speed, you can change rev limits, you can ignore warning lights, and you can change throttle response. In most instances that is. So asking the question if it returns it "European specs" means nothing.

The Euro map had more aggressive specs than the slightly detuned US version did. So US model could use a Euro version of the fueling and ignition to add some power over the base version. But there is no such things as "the flash". It does none of those things. I can change a Euro map and "flash" it back to the ECU. I could change a US map and "flash" it back. I could tune the existing map and "flash" it back. I could take the stock US map and change the rev limit from 13,500rpm to 13,750rpm, flash the ECU with that change by itself, and that's my "flash".

There is no such thing as a single "flash" for the ECU. People asking you to mail the ECU to them to "reflash" it just means they have a generic one-size-fits-all software change that they have come up with something that will work and there's no guaranty on what's included. They could download the changes off the interweb, flash it to your ECU, and mail it back to you. So asking if the flash returns it to Euro specs or not is meaningless. It doesn't work like that and just because yours has been reflashed to retain the KTRC mode doesn't tell you anything else about it. That may be the only change on it. You won't know anything else about it other than it's been flashed unless you can contact the person who did the reflash or read the software yourself to see.
Yes, I hear what you're saying, and I know that flashing can vary depending on what you want, who's doing it etc. I just figured that most people get their ECUs flashed in order to increase power and performance. I suspect that this was the end goal for the original owner, seeing as he had the cat removed, installed Yoshimua R-77 exhaust, 16/41 gearing, ohlin's fork kit etc. Sounds like he had racing performance in mind. I just had, perhaps mistakenly, assumed that whatever changes made in the US models was, in most cases, reversed or eliminated when the ECU was flashed. As to what was actually done with mine? Hard to know. I'm the third owner. The guy I bought the bike from didn't even know it had been flashed, and doesn't know how to contact the original owner. The only other option is there may be a sticker on the ECU showing who did the flash and maybe a number or code indicating what map was used. This spring, I'm going to go in and look while inspecting the air filter. Hopefully there's something there. Thanks for clarifying some things(y)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,042 Posts
I can tell you that after flashing my own ECU at home, I don't put any stickers on it. So you can look at the ECU to see if you have one, but I think that's wishful thinking. So keep your expectations low on that.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not you're just curious as to what's been done to it or if you're looking to change something on it. If you're just curious, then it likely isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can tell you that after flashing my own ECU at home, I don't put any stickers on it. So you can look at the ECU to see if you have one, but I think that's wishful thinking. So keep your expectations low on that.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not you're just curious as to what's been done to it or if you're looking to change something on it. If you're just curious, then it likely isn't that big of a deal.
No, just curious. I've got to go in and have a look at the filter anyway, so maybe something will be there. I don't think I really need any kind of performance upgrade. I can barely handle it as it is! Hey, while I'm here, can you tell me if it's necessary to remove the tank to get at the air box? Maybe you could just prop the tank up with something? I'm putting this off till it's licenced again because I have a full tank of stabilized fuel and I think I'll burn most that off before doing the check.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,042 Posts
No, just curious. I've got to go in and have a look at the filter anyway, so maybe something will be there. I don't think I really need any kind of performance upgrade. I can barely handle it as it is! Hey, while I'm here, can you tell me if it's necessary to remove the tank to get at the air box? Maybe you could just prop the tank up with something? I'm putting this off till it's licenced again because I have a full tank of stabilized fuel and I think I'll burn most that off before doing the check.
You can prop up the tank, but you'll have limited space to gain access to all the screws for the airbox lid and the connectors to the fuel rail. If you have some good, small tools and small hands, you could probably do it that way. It would be much easier to take the 2 bolts out off the tank mounting bracket, remove the fuel line, and take the tank off the bike to get to the airbox lid and take that completely off to take the filter out. Even fully loaded with a tank of gas, it's not hard to do, just heavier. Just depends on how manly you are and how easy you want the job to be.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can prop up the tank, but you'll have limited space to gain access to all the screws for the airbox lid and the connectors to the fuel rail. If you have some good, small tools and small hands, you could probably do it that way. It would be much easier to take the 2 bolts out off the tank mounting bracket, remove the fuel line, and take the tank off the bike to get to the airbox lid and take that completely off to take the filter out. Even fully loaded with a tank of gas, it's not hard to do, just heavier. Just depends on how manly you are and how easy you want the job to be.
Does it leak when fuel line is removed? Never done this before.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,042 Posts
Does it leak when fuel line is removed? Never done this before.
The fuel in the line will leak out when unplugged. Some residual fuel in the pump will dribble out. The tank won't leak unless the pump is damaged.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you have any local gen 4 guys with woolich on their bike, make friends with them and see if they'd be willing to put in your ECU and read it. Back in the day it used to let you read the ECU without having to purchase a key but I think the software has gotten even smarter now so it might not work.

I'd agree that even if you find a sticker who knows what was really done to the flash without reading the tune file off of it. I flashed a buddies bike and pulled the flash that was originally on it. It was from a company I've ordered parts from in the past and the flash was super basic. Just removed the secondary restrictions and I think just barely bumped the timing up top.

I'd also just recommend taking the tank off to swap filters and pull the ecu if you wanted to. It makes it a far less frustrating task and probably saves time in the long run. The service manual is posted here on the forums and shows you step by step how to do it. Otherwise shoot me a pm with your email and it might magically appear :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have any local gen 4 guys with woolich on their bike, make friends with them and see if they'd be willing to put in your ECU and read it. Back in the day it used to let you read the ECU without having to purchase a key but I think the software has gotten even smarter now so it might not work.

I'd agree that even if you find a sticker who knows what was really done to the flash without reading the tune file off of it. I flashed a buddies bike and pulled the flash that was originally on it. It was from a company I've ordered parts from in the past and the flash was super basic. Just removed the secondary restrictions and I think just barely bumped the timing up top.

I'd also just recommend taking the tank off to swap filters and pull the ecu if you wanted to. It makes it a far less frustrating task and probably saves time in the long run. The service manual is posted here on the forums and shows you step by step how to do it. Otherwise shoot me a pm with your email and it might magically appear :)
I bought the bike last Sept. and rode it for just over a month before parking for the winter. Don't know any zx10 riders in the area, although the Kawi dealership may know some. I also downloaded the service manual and yes, the instructions are there. I was hoping that maybe the sticker on the ECU (if there is one) may have a code or number of some kind indicating what kind of flash was done. then a matter of contacting that person to find out, if possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts