Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Always On Mod
1,841 Posts
once you pull the forks off the bike, disassemble, drain the oil, inspect all the o-rings, you will probably have a couple hours into it. For peace of mind it's probably worth the extra $34 while you're in there. Necessity will be determined by the wear on the existing parts, so you won;t know until you get into it.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
once you pull the forks off the bike, disassemble, drain the oil, inspect all the o-rings, you will probably have a couple hours into it. For peace of mind it's probably worth the extra $34 while you're in there. Necessity will be determined by the wear on the existing parts, so you won;t know until you get into it.
This. If your lower bushings are truly trashed you will notice wear on the inner for tube/slider as well... it will look like lots of parallel vertical scuff marks near the dust seal area. That being said, I haven't had a set of sub-60K mile forks of my own come apart yet with bushing wear that required replacement.... but it does happen. Those little bastards are fun to change, though! :thefinger_red:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Personally.. I would replace the guild and bushings as they need to be smashed into each other to split the tubes and as a result of that it nearly always damages the coating.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
.... you do not have to remove the bushings on our "USD" forks to change oil & dust seals...... if you DO take them out, you might as well replace them at that price; I can agree with that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
.... you do not have to remove the bushings on our "USD" forks to change oil & dust seals...... if you DO take them out, you might as well replace them at that price; I can agree with that.
Well.. I think your referring to other forks.. These are BPF were talking about. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Well.. I think your referring to other forks.. These are BPF were talking about. :wink2:
Ooooooops, good catch. I read Gen 1.... because I'm an idiot in bursts. :)

Thanks on the correction.

FWIW I've done a lot of old traditional forks where you have to slide hammer the bushings out and I've never used the correct tool to get them back in. I've been fortunate enough to never hurt one, but it is very easy to screw it up without the right tools.... sure wouldn't hurt to have a few spares on hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts