Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was thinking for a winter project to swap gen 5 airbox to gen 4. Do you guys think that gen 4 will benefit from that ? Gen 5 airbox seems to be the same dimensions but the space is much more optimized and has a bigger air filter. Doing this gen 4 ECU and relay box will have to be relocated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
have a friend that has a straight line race bike, like 1/2 mile, my mechanic did the setup, but he has not told me the results from the dyno.

first you need to know how to weld plastic you have to take the part that goes to the TB, and take it out of both boxes, and put the gen4 lets call it boots holder and put it in the gen5.

at the end the gen5 box will bolt into the gen4 TB and have gen4 vel stacks...

we tested months ago in a gen4 box a set of gen5 vel stacks, with a loss of 5-7hp on top end, so the gen4 vel stacks are better for the engine and his engine makes 200hp and mine 190hp.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Talk to EJR performance and have them modify your airbox. They typically do the mod with the Gen5 but I don't doubt they could make it work for the Gen4. You could probably pick up a couple horses in the top end with that and a proper tune. Then you won't need to buy a $200+ gen5 airbox, weld plastic, get a new filter, relocate anything, or any other hidden BS. And after doing all that who's to say it won't lose power (as mpp12 said, the gen4 doesn't like gen5 stacks).

You'll need to install AIS plates to do it though and you're going to definitely need to get the bike on a dyno or have an auto-tune unit (running off a previous tune) fix your now lean top-end performance. I think EJR charges $500 to do the mod and gold tape the whole airbox. It's a proven mod too (on the streets) from what I've seen. The dyno numbers won't give it justice. They're ZX10R smacks everyone... granted it's specifically set up for roll racing, but only using bolt-ons which is nice.

If you're really that keen on modifying your airbox that's probably your best bet.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I saw in their IG, what they do to airboxes, I posted that years ago doing it with my mechanic to the gen4 box...

We are talking to change the gen4 box to a gen5...

·
Registered
670 Posts
I saw in their IG, what they do to airboxes, I posted that years ago doing it with my mechanic to the gen4 box...

We are talking to change the gen4 box to a gen5...
I''ll try to scan back a few years and see what ya posted. And yeah they do some kind of manipulation to allow more "ram air in at high speeds" or whatever the guy told me when I asked. They don't screw with the stacks. They do the mandatory heat taping because if they didn't it'd be super obvious what they're doing with the airbox. The reflective tape you see in they're posts basically acts as a camo. I'll post a pic of what it looks like they're doing. I don't doubt they could carryover that kinda modification to a gen4 box and that way this guy won't have to try retrofitting a gen5. The only established data on that mod though was that the bike went 1 second faster from 130mph to 180mph (don't quote me). Which, if those numbers are correct, is not bad at all. Just don't see the investment worthwhile for the avg rider considering that 1-sec improvement probably came alongside the fact their bike is slammed, extended, has carbon wheels, was tuned, etc.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
no mystery there.....
just basic mechanics, my mechanic did this for me for 60usd... and a Presidente.

·
Registered
670 Posts
no mystery there.....
just basic mechanics, my mechanic did this for me for 60usd... and a Presidente.
Exactly what I thought they did. With the tape acting as a camo.
Send me the link to the og thread if it's still out there (or if one was even made)... would be an interesting read through and would be curious to see the results. $60 and a presidente was a steal :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, you got my attention here. I can do that myself, no need to spend $515. However, does someone know if such a mod will actually work on a gen4? Obviously, the_bitch_ninja gen 5 from EJR has a Draggy GPS and this helps real time measuring times, that is how he gen that 1 second measured. If this works similar on gen 4 will be much cheaper (actually free, since I got everything to do it) than buying a gen 5 airbox... 1 second is a good benefit.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
never raced a gen4 that I have not beaten, the only gen4 that has more power on the dyno is a fully straight line one that races on MR12 and goes to the same mechanic and has same job...(friend of mine)

It works....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Are those pictures of a modified Gen 4 box? ECU still in same location? The Gen 4 and Gen 5 back and forth has me a little confused on which box is actually pictured with the modifications.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts