Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it going guys. I just swapped the motor out of this 2012 ZX10R & put in a replacement engine from a 2013 ZX10R. When I turn the key to the on position the coolant temps tire reads 176 degrees when completely cold. The bike also won’t start. It clicks once and then starts priming the fuel again. I hooked up my battery to a car to jump it and still same outcome. I replaced the starter solenoid from my parts bike still same issue. Any ideas why the temps tire is reading 175 degrees when cold and also won’t start just clicks once.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Well, howdy! Welcome to the party!

The only difference with the '13 version versus the '12 is the electronic steering damper. Obviously that won't affect anything with the motor.

Your coolant reading is likely due to you not properly connecting the coolant sensor or it's damaged on the replacement motor. The fact that it's showing anything on the cluster at all won't tell me the wiring is fine and the sensor itself is faulty. That's the first thing to look into. Swap it out from the other motor and see what that does.

As the the starting issue, sounds like a bad connection at the starter relay. The clck is the relay engaging but it grounds out and disconnects the power source so when the button is released it restarts the power-up sequence of everything. The fuel pump primes for 4 seconds every time the power is initially applied to the ECU. So, the it's losing power while the button is pressed. Make sure all the harness ocnnections are proper and look at the starter relay connections as well as the starter motor itself. The starter on the new motor may be old and damaged and what's causing the grounding issue. I'd receommend swapping the starter from the other motor as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m getting ready to go through all the wires now I appreciate the response! I’ll let you know if it works. Trying to get out and ride this thing it’s gorgeous out!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
OK, let us know how that all goes! Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So figured out the issue with the coolant temp! Turns it wasn’t pushed all the way on. Still having the same starter issue. I am checking the grounds now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts