Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Replaced the cam sensor, and wiring checks out OK, same service code, so a new ECU on the way. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Have you tested the sensor you took out?? Is the sensor picking up the cam?? Who built the engine?? What cams are in?? New ECU is drastic!! Is it the loom failing a ground?? Is it the plug to throttle body???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yes ; I guess so ; kawasaki ; std ; in the build process I connected the battery back to front, which shouldn't hurt the ecu, but maybe. Anyway, tech manual says ecu next!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK, sussed it. When I installed the loom, I laid it where it suited the car best, along the lhs of the engine. So the branch of the loom that fires the coils was left to right instead of right to left. All fitted up and clicked into place perfectly.
When I go to start it, it runs OK for a second or so, obviously wasted spark until it gets a cam sensor signal. Once it gets that, it goes to exactly 360 deg out of phase. 1 gets a spark when 4 should, etc.
Fixed in about 10 minutes.
Thanks for all of your help. Greatly appreciated. M

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
OK, sussed it. When I installed the loom, I laid it where it suited the car best, along the lhs of the engine. So the branch of the loom that fires the coils was left to right instead of right to left. All fitted up and clicked into place perfectly.
When I go to start it, it runs OK for a second or so, obviously wasted spark until it gets a cam sensor signal. Once it gets that, it goes to exactly 360 deg out of phase. 1 gets a spark when 4 should, etc.
Fixed in about 10 minutes.
Thanks for all of your help. Greatly appreciated. M
Wow. That is great that you got it working. Making sure the wires aren't hooking up the spark plug wires in reverse order is not something that would be part of the troubleshooting. That is an easy fix, but not something that is easily identified. Glad you found that and got it all running! Good job!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts