Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so to start, YES I have researched the threads to do this swap and to be honest still kind of confused, and I am ordering parts today.
I want to go the route without drilling anything.
I have a Gen 3 rear wheel.

Apparently the "Garth" way is the easiest but still dont know what I have to do.
I have a bare rim, so as I understand it do I:
1 - order OEM Gen 3 bearings
2 - Order a 2011 inner spacer (the long one)
3 - Make a spacer to go inside the rear caliper mount- same width/size as the caliper to fit on the Gen 3 axel?

Thanks for clearing anything up for me.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
On my bike I ran the gen 1-3 rear axle and adjuster blocks and she bolted right up. I also had to make a spacer that sized down the hole that the rear brake caliper has I think (Just going from memory) that it needs to be brough down from 20mm to 17mm ... I think...

use the gen 1-3 spacers.

fronts will just bolt right up.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The spacer i made for the G3 wheel was 18,5mm, did go a different way but the spacer is the same in lenght

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do you guys mean- 1 spacer for the caliper mount- somewhere between 17 and 20mm in length, 20 mm ID and 25mm OD? just mic out the caliper mount width around the axel and good to go?

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
I have a Gen 1 rear wheel mounted on my gen 4. I used the wheel, axle, bearings spacers from the gen 1. It all bolts up clean. I used the caliper mount from the gen 4 cause it has the TC sensor mount built in. Without a spacer the caliper mount isn't a perfect fit for the gen 1 axle, but it also won't crash. I ran this setup at the track yesterday with no issues. I can upload a drawing for the caliper spacer tomorrow if you'd like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Gen 1 rear wheel mounted on my gen 4. I used the wheel, axle, bearings spacers from the gen 1. It all bolts up clean. I used the caliper mount from the gen 4 cause it has the TC sensor mount built in. Without a spacer the caliper mount isn't a perfect fit for the gen 1 axle, but it also won't crash. I ran this setup at the track yesterday with no issues. I can upload a drawing for the caliper spacer tomorrow if you'd like.

Ok.... So definitively its direct bolt, and the only hardship is the spacing (ID / OD from Axel size to Caliper mount size on why people are adding a spacer.
For your post tho, you say you have no spacer, and just rock the caliper as is with a little bit of room(approx 5 mil) between the two, yet you do have a spacer?

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Ok.... So definitively its direct bolt, and the only hardship is the spacing (ID / OD from Axel size to Caliper mount size on why people are adding a spacer.
For your post tho, you say you have no spacer, and just rock the caliper as is with a little bit of room(approx 5 mil) between the two, yet you do have a spacer?
I plan to run with a spacer for long term, but didn't get one made yet. The caliper bracket is a loose fit to the axle anyway, so the 2.5mm it can move isn't the end of the world. And, without the space it won't crash the caliper into the rotor. I may just be lazy and not put a spacer in, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a spacer for the rear caliper bracket?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts