Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the swap?

I have found out the Gen 3 has a smaller rear axle so just looking at the obvious i would also have to swap the calliper bracket, the axle blocks and axle.
Anything else?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I hope this will answer all your questions :wink:

You can fit the wheels from an '08 til '10 model, things you need to do:

Front:
- ABS/TC ring

Bcuz the rearwheel axle is different in thickness you need to modifie these things ;)

Rear:
- ABS/TC ring
- Inner spacer of an '11/'12 model
- Bearings of the '11/'12 model don't fit in the G3 wheels bcuz of a different outside (to small or big don't remember it, but if you sent me a mssg so i don't forget i can get you the SKF bearing numbers :wink:) SKF 6005 in stead of 6205.
- Dust seels
- And now it comes, you will need to make a spacer that is longer then the original one, bcuz you've got some space over between the calliper bracket and the wheel (Gen3 wheel is narrower) See pic.
I've done the mods on my set of '08 wheels and it costed me 160€ = +/- 200$
- 2 original kawa ABS/TC rings
- original kawa rear inner spacer
- SKF rear wheel bearings
- original dust seels
- a friend of mine made the outside spacer between the calliper bracket and the wheel for free.

If you buy or use wheels from an '05-'07 you need the 310mm brake discs so it will cost you more ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Has anyone done the swap?

I have found out the Gen 3 has a smaller rear axle so just looking at the obvious i would also have to swap the calliper bracket, the axle blocks and axle.
Anything else?
Why is this ? You can use the original G4 setup of the calliper bracket, left axle block (if you mean the outside spacer by this), axle, sprocket and sprocket attachment and the green damping blocks inside the wheel for the sprocket attachment.
I hope you can understand what i'm saying :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The front wheel is a direct swap plus adding the TC ring.
The big problem with swapping the rear wheel was the Gen3 has a 20mm axle where as the Gen4 has a 25mm axle.
I went a slightly different route to get the Gen3 rear wheel to fit on a Gen4.

I machined the rear wheel to accept the Gen4 bearings and center spacer. I imagine a local machine might charge 2hrs max for doing this??
I then used all Gen4 spacers,dust seals, bearings, and TC ring.

Here's some dimensions comparing the gen3 vs gen4 hubs and a pic of my bike.

Section A-A shows the GEN3 rear wheel with Gen3 bearings and center spacer.
Section B-B shows the modified GEN3 rear wheel with Gen3 bearings and Gen3 center spacer.
Section C-C shows the modified GEN3 rear wheel with Gen4 bearings and Gen4 center spacer.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
16,059 Posts
The front wheel is a direct swap plus adding the TC ring.
The big problem with swapping the rear wheel was the Gen3 has a 20mm axle where as the Gen4 has a 25mm axle.
I went a slightly different route to get the Gen3 rear wheel to fit on a Gen4.

I machined the rear wheel to accept the Gen4 bearings and center spacer. I imagine a local machine might charge 2hrs max for doing this??
I then used all Gen4 spacers,dust seals, bearings, and TC ring.

Here's some dimensions comparing the gen3 vs gen4 hubs and a pic of my bike.

Section A-A shows the GEN3 rear wheel with Gen3 bearings and center spacer.
Section B-B shows the modified GEN3 rear wheel with Gen3 bearings and Gen3 center spacer.
Section C-C shows the modified GEN3 rear wheel with Gen4 bearings and Gen4 center spacer.

Hope this helps.
Fark! That's a hell of a 1st post!!! Nicely done!

Now, can someone explain what the advantage is besides looks? The G4 wheels are lighter than the G3 ones, so aside from looks or reusing wheels you already own, I don't see any advantage to this swap. :dontknow:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fark! That's a hell of a 1st post!!! Nicely done!

Now, can someone explain what the advantage is besides looks? The G4 wheels are lighter than the G3 ones, so aside from looks or reusing wheels you already own, I don't see any advantage to this swap. :dontknow:

I did this back in March so I could have an extra set of wheels. The Gen4 wheels were/are harder to come by. Also the Gen4 wheels were going for almost double of what Gen3 wheels were going for if you could find them.

·
Speed Freak
12,932 Posts
I have Gen 3 wheels on my 2011...

fronts bolted right up.... didnt have to mess with dust seals since I have marchesinis

the rear I used a 04-10 rear axle and adjuster plates as well as a spacer on the inside of the brake caliper bracket made to have the proper ID.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I did had the wheels as track wheels for my G3 so i adjusted them as track wheels for my G4, why spent all the €€€ or $$$ on G4's when i've got a set of good wheels laying around :wink:

I think Garth285 did it the easiest way though !

Edited my first post with the drawing and skf number.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers everyone, i don't have ABS so its one step easier, will try to find a local machine shop to boar out the rear.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And why is that ?? Do you mean the ABS rings ?? You'll need them if you want your TCS to work and your speedometer :wink:
Just follow garth's directions that's the easiest one :cool:
Oops my bad, but as Scout would say this big is perfect it doesn't need TC

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just so i have my head around this 100% before i take the rear wheel to a machine shop.
The rear wheel center needs to be made larger and deeper to accept the gen4 bearings and center spacer?
Once this is done no extra spacers are needed to be made up correct?
I have printed off the detailed measurement diagram but fk'd if that makes sense to me when i try to read it lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just so i have my head around this 100% before i take the rear wheel to a machine shop.
The rear wheel center needs to be made larger and deeper to accept the gen4 bearings and center spacer?
Once this is done no extra spacers are needed to be made up correct?
I have printed off the detailed measurement diagram but fk'd if that makes sense to me when i try to read it lol
Sorry for the delayed response.
Yes, with these mods the spacers will be interchangeable from wheel to wheel. No extra wheel spacers will be needed.

Do you have all the necessary parts already? It'd be a good idea to have the bearings on hand. This way they can size them for a press fit.
Also, make sure the length of the inner collar measures 146.25mm long and the wheel measures 182mm(7.165"). wide from face to face. If this is off, the depth on the 52mm bores may have to be adjusted.

Side 1, sprocket side, bore a 52mm hole 16.25mm deep into the sprocket side of the wheel.

Side2, disc side, bore a 52mm hole 20mm deep into the disc side of the wheel.
Also, 4 60mm flats 4mm deep need to be machined on the outside of the wheel to make clearance for the speed sensor rotor that will be installed.
or the tangs on the speed sensor could be modified.

When you're assembling everything, the bearing on the sprocket side should be recessed 1mm into the hub.(Helps to have a 1mm shim for this). Also, you'll need 4 washers(2mm x 10.5mm ID x 19mm OD) to put into the brake disk, so the speed sensor rotor doesn't sit funny.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/93475a280/=j1meog
I ordered these and had to slightly fit the outside diameter on a pedestal grinder. I've got extras left over. If you want them I can mail them to you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the reply, have gone a slightly different route and will see if it works.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.