Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i tried out the search function and got alot of results but im still confused on what i should do. I have an 09 zx10 with 1800 miles on it and its completely stock(for now) and i want to re gear it. The bike is fast as hell now but i would like a little more power down low and ive read they are geared very tall from the factory. i would like the power down low making roll on wheelies a little easier and just all around fun since top speed on the streets is expensive. Im confused on what to do since my bike has low miles should i just change the sprockets? and keep the chain or just change one sprocket? i dont want it to be crazy down low and loose all my top speed and making canyon carving more difficult due to the front end always comin up. just a little more down low maybe a -1 +1? and how much does it throw off your odometer and speedometer? any help would be appreciated sorry if this is repetitive. thanks alot.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Since you are not sure exactly what you want or would like, my honest opinion is just get a -1 front sprocket. A: its easy to install and B: its cheap (like $25). You could definately keep your current chain and rear sprocket, and if you want a little more after you try that, then you could buy a more expensive rear sprocket. That is the setup I have, and have had on almost all my bikes, so yes I am a bit biased perhaps, but logically its a very sensible and inexpensive way to go. Best $25 mod you can do on your bike imho.

Yes your speedo will be off as well. Mine is off like 5-6 mph at 35mph and like 8 off at 65 or something like that. You can buy a speedo healer if it really bugs you.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Like teeks said put a 16 up front and I would get a 1/5th throttle and you will be very happy with the difference...Both a very inexpensive mods.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Go down 1 tooth in the front and you will see a world of difference. I just recently did this to my 08 and can't believe I didn't do it sooner. You won't have to be at 9k rpms to feel the power anymore. You get it much quicker.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
I went +1 on the rear and think it's perfect.

www.gearingcommander.com

There's a gazillion threads on here already. Start small, see what you like, and add more if you want it. Reading about gearing changes and people's preferences on the Interwebz isn't going to get you what you're looking for.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the same bike and was worried about having rev too high on the high way so i went with 2 up on the rear without changing the front . I like it a lot ! Just like you i was wanting easier roll on wheelies . Now the front end comes up around town just the way i like it .
Something very important to know > there was no more chain adjustment with only 2 up so don't think about going three . 1 at the front is like 2.5 at the rear and get a steel gear not aluminum .
oh i almost forgot the most important reason i went with a rear > it shortens the wheel base making it quicker in turns and easier to wheelie . One of the reasons the 05 is so fun is the short wheel base .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts