Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; Mike here. I am getting ready to replace the rear spring on my stock 08 shock with the 9.8 spring from Racetech which I have heard makes a big difference in handling performance. I have read where the ride height of the rear is 1/2 inch lower due to the spring being shorter. I understand that the spring is stiffer, so the bike will not sag as much when sat on, but I was wondering if anybody has added a spacer, or shim to the top shock mount to replace the lost ride height? Has anybody who did the mod measure their rear ride height when seated with the stock shock, and then with the new spring to see what the actual difference is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I would also like to know this. Have you done any thing to the shock itself? What is your weight if you don't mind me asking? I am looking at options for my Gen 3

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got my rear spring from racetech last week and they sell a 1/2" spacer as well to make up for the racetech spring being shorter then the stock spring. The spacer is an additional $19 but then it doesnt change the ride height.

I just installed it on my bike and the ride height is exactly the same but doesnt sag near as much.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was also told that having the rear shock revalved for the stiffeer spring isn't completely necessary for street riding. With the stiffer spring it is already going to be working far less then with the stock spring.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chersh1088: Thanks for the reply. On the spacer that Racetech sells, is it a 1/2 inch spacer for the spring itself, or could you just space the shock at the top of the shock mount where it mounts to the frame with the long threaded bolt? Please let me know, and thanks again. Mike.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Can you change out the spring yourself and do you have to have a shop do it? I am thinking of being cheap on suspension and just doing a refresh and putting a new spring on the rear with Spacer.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
So I went to Racetech and they have a spring wieght calculator. I weigh 185lbs without gear. It recommends:

Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 11.597 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 9.7 kg/mm (stock)

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Kawasaki/ZX-10R/2011-12

Does this seem right?

It says my front end is spot on!

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is what I have. Muzzy lowering link. It has a couple of adjustments and I have mine all the tallest. Rear end on my bike feels pretty tall with it. Stock rear shock though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's what it says but feels a little taller. The gen. 4 rear looks a lot lower than the gen. 3. I think overall it sits lower too. Sat on one and feels lower than my gen 3. This bike is first I can't get flat footed all the way on both feet while sitting on the bike. It's tall.

·
Registered
784 Posts
So I went to Racetech and they have a spring wieght calculator. I weigh 185lbs without gear. It recommends:

Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 11.597 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 9.7 kg/mm (stock)

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Kawasaki/ZX-10R/2011-12

Does this seem right?

It says my front end is spot on!
I went with the shock spring rate recommended on the Racetech site, but have noticed that they are now recommending a much stronger spring than before. I would double check with someone at Racetech as even at your weight, 11.97 seems very stiff. Could be they revised their recommended rates upwards in light of new info :dontknow:

I think stock is 9.1 kg/mm btw. I have 9.8 for my 150 lbs wt and I have correct sag readings. I also have 0.9 fork springs and this made the biggest difference from stock. Springs appear to be mis-matched from factory :badteeth:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
I had an Eibach spring on my G3, so can't comment on the RaceTech in particular. But my understanding is they will supply a spring spacer if the free length is shorter than stock to maintain the adjustment range.

In any case, here's the ride height adjuster I used on mine. It's an M16x1.50 stainless jam nut with washer that cost me $1.50 from the local Ace Hardware. Infinite adjustment from stock height up.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I went with the shock spring rate recommended on the Racetech site, but have noticed that they are now recommending a much stronger spring than before. I would double check with someone at Racetech as even at your weight, 11.97 seems very stiff. Could be they revised their recommended rates upwards in light of new info :dontknow:

I think stock is 9.1 kg/mm btw. I have 9.8 for my 150 lbs wt and I have correct sag readings. I also have 0.9 fork springs and this made the biggest difference from stock. Springs appear to be mis-matched from factory :badteeth:
That was kinda high for me. I may have picked the the wrong ZX10r model. I was planning on using the 10.7 spring. The springs up front are 1.0? Why would someone change those out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts