Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a quick change clutch cover for a gen 3 with multi-stage clutch.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
There is a variety of cordless hand tools which to be honest are as fast as can be anyhow, depending on your budget, iv got one just pulls em straight out against the torque (which is only 12nm) and can put em straight back in on the same torque iv checked and iv checked and its never more than 1 nm out using a snap on torque wrench which i do when there is time, but also by the sounds of it your going to be doing this hot so the torques are all out anyways :wink2:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't need the quick access because I'm lazy, I need it for the added distance from the engine to run a multi-stage clutch. Clutch has a hat that won't clear the OE cover.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of clutches. Has anybody used the EFM autoclutch, specifically for drag racing? Seems like a very affordable alternative to the hays without all the bells and whistles. It a slider with metal balls that centrifugally engage the clutch.

Tell me your experience with these. Good, bad or indifferent.

EFM Auto Clutch | The Auto Clutch Expert

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I would imagine that the tune-ability of that EFM clutch would not be up to what you need.... the benefit to the uber expensive Rock/MTC/Hayes set ups are the fact that you can tune the ever loving hell out of them...... though I suppose that is their drawback as well. ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point hays is my only option.
MTC discontinued the setup for a Gen3. Haven’t looked into rock, but I’m sure they’re not available either.
According to efm the lockup rpm and amount of slip are both adjustable.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you when I start looking for baskets... Hayes is the only non-used option I could find. Aside from the cost, though, I'm not mad about that... the Hayes clutch has so much function built into it. Want to run it like a standard clutch? Take the lock up arms out. Want a slider? Take the base/"hat" springs out. What a hand slider? Run wimpy static springs and tune arms to suit. Because you can use generic springs and weights you can set it up to just about ANY range you want in any configuration. It has proven quality and proven function.... the only two down sides being cost and complexity. If you don't understand how to set-up a clutch it would probably be a nightmare for the average Joe to do on his own. All the stories/reviews I've ever read fall in line with those observations. You don't bolt it on and go fast... you spend some time and a couple clutch packs getting it right.

The EFM looks really cool, but I doubt it has that sort of adjustability. Some, sure.... but I don't think it was designed with being able to tune in really tight 60' times. I think if it did that with the sort of accuracy that you need/want, they'd advertise that it could do exactly that.... and drag racers would be using them a lot more.... especially because they claim to have been around since the 90's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pretty much the same story a race buddy of mine told me. I was really hoping for a more cost efficient option, but, looks like that's out. I'll keep my eyes out for a used setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts