Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into different exhaust options, I found 1 I really like but it's for a gen 3, I of course have a gen 2(I'm 6'5 270, the gen 3s are too small for me, LOL). I've emailed them to ask if they'll send me gen 2 headers with the 08 can but haven't heard anything yet. I heard(actually read) garth say the 08motor will swap to a gen2 so I'm curious if the header pattern might be the same. I hope this works cause it'd be sik. Thanks for any help or advice to make this work.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
The headers between a 2nd gen and 3rd gen are almost completely the same besides a few mm's etc. My friend and I set his 08 zx10r up with 06 stock headers and fitted them to a areap exhaust!! It very possible to go this route, but you will need possibly bend or get a piece to mate them so the headers and mid-pipe line up perfectly...

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headers between a 2nd gen and 3rd gen are almost completely the same besides a few mm's etc. My friend and I set his 08 zx10r up with 06 stock headers and fitted them to a areap exhaust!! It very possible to go this route, but you will need possibly bend or get a piece to mate them so the headers and mid-pipe line up perfectly...
Awesome!!!! Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear! Now I just have to find a guy who welds titanium, finish this basement I'm workin on and order away. Got all winter but I want this done, LOL.

·
5,932 Posts
Yeah we measured a lot but over all it worked out very well.

My friends setup went like this...
06/07 second gen. headers, removed the Y/cats and got a new one made with a larger diameter jumping it from 2"/60mm to 2.5"/63.5 mm and then getting the areap's mid-pipe custom made so the inlet side connecting to the Y was the same(wasn't bad just had to talk to them directly)...Over all it was a full system at half the price!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah we measured a lot but over all it worked out very well.

My friends setup went like this...
06/07 second gen. headers, removed the Y/cats and got a new one made with a larger diameter jumping it from 2"/60mm to 2.5"/63.5 mm and then getting the areap's mid-pipe custom made so the inlet side connecting to the Y was the same(wasn't bad just had to talk to them directly)...Over all it was a full system at half the price!! Good luck!!
Nice, sounds pretty cool, did he have a custom map made? How'd it do? Mine will just be changing some bends and having it ceramic powder coated black. It won't be a half price exhaust but I can't wait. I've searched and searched, thought I've found the right one then I'd hearvs lot of negative wrap about it so this better work, LOL

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,716 Posts
My 08 street bike have 06 headers and midpipe and a custom piece. The biggest difference is how the pipes collect and location of the cats.

The 08 have 2 cross over tubes and the cats are located at the bottom of the headers.
The 06 dont have a cross over tube and the cats are more in the mid pipe that can be detatched. thats the reason the welder went with the 06. ezier to make custome weld.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So with a full system there shouldn't be any problems other than bends huh, awesome, I'm getting stoked! Seems pretty safe to say I can just order a full 08 system after I find a welder.

·
5,932 Posts
Nice, sounds pretty cool, did he have a custom map made? How'd it do? Mine will just be changing some bends and having it ceramic powder coated black. It won't be a half price exhaust but I can't wait. I've searched and searched, thought I've found the right one then I'd hearvs lot of negative wrap about it so this better work, LOL

He had a m4(mine that I sold him) on there with gutted headers and with a pcIII and custom map he gained on paper 3-4hp and thats it...With the one off system he gained 8+hp but he added ignition module and air filter along with removing the secondaries too...

You shouldn't have a problem ordering it as long as you have some mechanical know how, along with someone/shop to help you out with a bend or weld maybe

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,716 Posts
Dont quote me but I think it will work. I have a 06 and 08, and I thought about having my full ackra system chop up from my 06 and put on my 08 (still might do it).

·
5,932 Posts
Best way to say it, exhaust systems are very flexible at being modded and fitted!! Its like changing a t-shirt in my book!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts