Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting on my driven front sprocket and was wondering which side goes out. i tried to search quick but couldnt find anything. does the side with the lettering go out? thats the top in the picture or does the flat side go out?

·
Grease Monkey Bandit
929 Posts
Just did this on mine, just look at the one you just took off and note how each side is worn. I believe the side with with greater wear is the engine side. Then compare the sprockets and you'll be able to tell how the new one goes on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
211 Posts
The flat side faces out and the the pic as you show it faces in, other wise the chain will be out of alignment

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why?

This is from a sprocket site about Driven sprocket.
Q: How do I know how to correctly install my countershaft sprocket?

A: Always measure the distance between the sprocket itself and the motor before you attempt to

replace it. This will help you later with the correct orientation when re-installing the front sprocket.

I would put the stocker back on and see where it sits on the shaft.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,392 Posts
^^^^ this guys gets it. He's saying Lee V is wrong. The numbers stamped on the sprocket go to the outside. It's done like that for easy verification of the sprocket. Pull the cover and you can read the sprocket size. Wouldn't do much good on the inside! Plus, the shoulder is machined to space the nut on the shaft with the washer. If you put the flat side out, the chain will be misaligned slightly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
well thats not the case with the renthal ones, is this a 520 sprocket?

the whole point of the offset on the sprocket is to make up for the difference in width?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,392 Posts
well thats not the case with the renthal ones, is this a 520 sprocket?

the whole point of the offset on the sprocket is to make up for the difference in width?
It is usually the case for them to account for the difference in width, but usually so that the nut and washer will hold the sprocket on. The axis of the sprocket and chain remains the same. Especially when matching the front and rear sprockets. The chain is tolerant enough to handle a few millimeters of misalignment, but I've never seen a shouldered sprocket like that with the flat side out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts