Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as most of you have stated that there is a problem with the fork seals leaking. Well mine have started leaking with just about 2000 miles on them. What I really need to know is how hard are they to replace? What kind of special tools are needed? I've never done them before but I am aircraft mechanic for the USAF so I do have just a little bit of mechanical abilities!!!! Lol.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Well as most of you have stated that there is a problem with the fork seals leaking. Well mine have started leaking with just about 2000 miles on them. What I really need to know is how hard are they to replace? What kind of special tools are needed? I've never done them before but I am aircraft mechanic for the USAF so I do have just a little bit of mechanical abilities!!!! Lol.

Heres a complete write up on how to .

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83764

tools are located here

http://www.traxxion.com/ForkServiceToolKit.aspx

As far as EASY ... Well . You have to disassemble your triple tree, lower triple . take wheels off. drop the forks and gut the tubes .. If you have limited mechanical experience then just pay to get em done ...

you need seals , and 1 32Oz and a quart of 10 weight fork oil and simple green

another thing to think of ... a dealership wont scuff up the fork legs too much .. maybe at the mounting spots and some bolt removal marks but thats it . your first seal change is gonna scuff up the crap out of your external tubes

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I think the seals leaking is hit or miss. I have 29K and I am just starting to see some very light rainbow color. I do wheelies occasinal endo. After I ride you don't notice anything. Not enough to say I need to get them changed anyway. You don't even feel the film if you touch the forks.

That said, I am getting new springs put in to improve the suspension. I was quoted 2.5hours, this includes changing a front sproket, new seals etc.

Hmmm your background I'd say you can change them but it's all about having the right tools and facility.

Almost dropped my bike putting the rear wheel back on because my rear stand sucks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mine are leaking and they are race tech seals... Its not bad, but im gonna have race tech go over them and make sure there arent any burrs or anything or the forks that would tear the seals

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Mine are leaking and they are race tech seals... Its not bad, but im gonna have race tech go over them and make sure there arent any burrs or anything or the forks that would tear the seals

Mine are race tech seals too and they drip a little too .. they are leaving an even layer of oil on my tubes .... some say its normal some say its not.. I know the dealership seal changes never had a thin layer on them . maybe its just from me using so much oil to lubricate the oil seal onto the tube... i put it on the tube pretty heavy .. i didnt wanna have to do it again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts