Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if 08 -2010 cranks will work in an 06/07 motor. They are reportedly 2lbs lighter than the 2nd gens. I'm looking to reduce the gyroscopic effect and make the bike more flick-able. The crank cases changed but the dimensions are supposed to be the same.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
779 Posts
I know the clutch baskets won't interchange so I'd say no, but I think its been answered all ready.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-10r/39295-2010-kawasaki-zx-10r-ninja-information-specifications.html

Four-Cylinder, DOHC 998cc Engine
- Very compact, narrow and lightweight design makes it possible to position the engine perfectly within the chassis for optimal weight distribution
- One-piece upper crankcase and cylinder casting saves weight and offers maximum rigidity
- Oil is routed through channels milled into the cases on various parts of the engine, eliminating external oil lines and reducing weight
- Stacked, triangular layout of crank axis, input shaft and output shaft reduces engine length and aids mass centralization for quick handling
- Lightweight crankshaft maintains the same inertial moment as a heavier design but saves about two pounds compared to a conventional crank
- Low friction oil pump reduction ratio reduces parasitic power loss
- Water pump uses the same type impeller as the ZX-14, with pump rpm optimized for reduced friction
- A lightweight Denso radiator with tightly packed cores provides the most efficient engine cooling possible
- Specially designed internal fins on the liquid-cooled, aluminum oil cooler promote high-efficiency heat dissipation

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-10r/39295-2010-kawasaki-zx-10r-ninja-information-specifications.html

Four-Cylinder, DOHC 998cc Engine
- Very compact, narrow and lightweight design makes it possible to position the engine perfectly within the chassis for optimal weight distribution
- One-piece upper crankcase and cylinder casting saves weight and offers maximum rigidity
- Oil is routed through channels milled into the cases on various parts of the engine, eliminating external oil lines and reducing weight
- Stacked, triangular layout of crank axis, input shaft and output shaft reduces engine length and aids mass centralization for quick handling
- Lightweight crankshaft maintains the same inertial moment as a heavier design but saves about two pounds compared to a conventional crank
- Low friction oil pump reduction ratio reduces parasitic power loss
- Water pump uses the same type impeller as the ZX-14, with pump rpm optimized for reduced friction
- A lightweight Denso radiator with tightly packed cores provides the most efficient engine cooling possible
- Specially designed internal fins on the liquid-cooled, aluminum oil cooler promote high-efficiency heat dissipation

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am going to the Gen 3 crank in my Gen 2 motor, does this require that i change my clutch basket? is the gear on the back different?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I sold a 06 clutch basket to a guy with a 3rd gen, he said it wouldn't work and I ended up buying it back. These guys claim its a straight swap, I dont know who to believe.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I am running a 3rd gen crank in a 2nd gen with 2nd gen basket and 1st gen clutch. The only thing that got my attention with the crank swap was the 08 crank didn't have an oil hole on one of the mains, but it's holding up pretty good so far and quickest and fastest 1k at the track that I go to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will be going to that same set up here in a few days and i am looking forward to seeing the difference that it makes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
So what was the final verdict on this? I'm trying to go the other way, putting a Gen 2 crank into a Gen 3 motor since I can only find 1 decent used one for the Gen 3 and they want $450 for it.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
So what was the final verdict on this? I'm trying to go the other way, putting a Gen 2 crank into a Gen 3 motor since I can only find 1 decent used one for the Gen 3 and they want $450 for it.

:thumbsup:
the gen 2 crank will work just fine in your gen 3 motor it will just be a little heavier :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts