Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gen 3 ZX10 has had this issue for the past month where the clutch will squeak and make a whistling noise when its pulled in/ disengaged. It seems to be more prominent when the bike is warmed up, but sometimes it happens when its cool. I havent noticed any difference in the performance of the clutch, no slipping or anything of that nature. I saw another post on here with a guy that had the same issue but it didnt seem like they reached a conclusion. Any idea what could be causing this? Ive heard bearings, to expanding when heated up causing something to rub.:frown2:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
That's one of those things that needs visually inspecting, if you have the skills mate just pop that clutch pack out and have a look. If you havent then your best bet is get someone to do that for you.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds like you need to research this a bit more. Are you sure it's the clutch and not the cam chain? The cam chain rattle is near the clutch and may sound like it's from there as a squeak.

But the first thing to check is what micheal4012 said above. Pull the clutch over off and look everything over with that. The bearing pull in there and the clutch basket itself may be worn or contacting something inside that is causing the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. Sounds like you need to research this a bit more. Are you sure it's the clutch and not the cam chain? The cam chain rattle is near the clutch and may sound like it's from there as a squeak.

But the first thing to check is what micheal4012 said above. Pull the clutch over off and look everything over with that. The bearing pull in there and the clutch basket itself may be worn or contacting something inside that is causing the noise.
Yeah positive its the clutch, it only does it when 1. Its warmed up and 2. I pull the clutch lever in. I just recently had the valves done and the cam chain tension looked at. I guess im going to pull the clutch cover off, my question is will i need to replace the gasket if i pop the clutch cover off? Or can i reuse the one thats there. Im guessing the drive side of the clutch is rubbing because it is in sync with my speed when i pull the clutch in, and not in sync with the speed of the motor.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
Yeah positive its the clutch, it only does it when 1. Its warmed up and 2. I pull the clutch lever in. I just recently had the valves done and the cam chain tension looked at. I guess im going to pull the clutch cover off, my question is will i need to replace the gasket if i pop the clutch cover off? Or can i reuse the one thats there. Im guessing the drive side of the clutch is rubbing because it is in sync with my speed when i pull the clutch in, and not in sync with the speed of the motor.
You should replace the gasket with a new one after the cover has been removed. If you're careful and the gasket doesn't rip, bend, or tear when you remove the cover, you can likely reuse it one time like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should replace the gasket with a new one after the cover has been removed. If you're careful and the gasket doesn't rip, bend, or tear when you remove the cover, you can likely reuse it one time like that.
Thats what i figured, Thanks for the response, just got home from a ride so im gonna let it cool down and then im gonna crack her open. Ill post back with the results.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
3rd gen zx10r are notorious for breaking rivets in the basket, lots of info could be found by using google, the best thing to do is take it apart or pay someone to take it apart and look at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts