Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can used oem rods be re-used with new kawi oem bolts or is a resize always required?

Assuming putting them back on same journal with new correctly sized bearings and matching rod/cap

Shop manual doesn`t mention this, only to replace the bolts.

The bike runs perfect, but tearing down motor for a 78mm piston kit.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
New kawi bolts and nuts every time, use the rods as many times you wish as long as there within all tolerances. kawa recommend only torquing them twice once for plastigauge check and then final assembly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks michael. Thought I had most of the involved job covered following the shop manual, but someone mentioned cap shift when replacing rod bolts.
But then I don`t have to worry about that.
I have new bolts and nuts ready along with a box of other parts for the rebuild. (and plastigauge)

·
Registered
330 Posts
have a nice set of gen 2 rods with new factory bolts/nuts, bearings looked perfect but rods out of round after replacing bolts. had them resized to kaw specs. sell for $150 and ride.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have a nice set of gen 2 rods with new factory bolts/nuts, bearings looked perfect but rods out of round after replacing bolts. had them resized to kaw specs. sell for $150 and ride.
Thanks gaz, so i might have an issue then just replacing bolts...? Problem is, no machine shop around here.
$150 for a peace of mind and not spinning a bearing is cheap insurance. I`ll PM you tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts