Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read this on another board....anyone heard?

"read on another forum about the rivets that hold the gear on the clutch basket failing at high rpms and pretty much wiping out the whole bottom end of the motor. just a heads up".

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
u joking rigght

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Read this on another board....anyone heard?

"read on another forum about the rivets that hold the gear on the clutch basket failing at high rpms and pretty much wiping out the whole bottom end of the motor. just a heads up".
ya better get some documented proof of this before opening up this can of worms.

BD

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've never heard of catastrophic failure coming from the rivets on the clutch basket on any bike. They become loose but you'll know as soon as they are. Sounds like you have a dry clutch. Some of the SV650's had that issue as well as the Hyosung GV650 and GT650. But none ever caused bottom end failure.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Kinda of a bit old for a recall like this one. Been 2 years now, the Gen 2 has been out. I hope this is more of a wind up.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Listen, I have a G2 and read this somewhere and figured if there was any truth to it, i'd find out here. I read it, then posted here. I know nothing more about it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't think you will see any Recal on a Gen 1 or Gen2, been in circulation too long for it to pop up now.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've heard of alot of clutch basket failing. Yes its true. But I'm not sure if its a recall or not. Yes its the rivets that holds the gear on thats failing. Mostly drag racers and riders who are heavy on the clutch (although it still shouldn't fail). Kawi knows about this problem but I dont think its a "recall". I've heard about 10 different cases of this happening. A aftermarket billet clutch basket suppose to solve the issue and some people are tach welding the rivet heads onto the stock basket.

Folks that have had this problem say Kawi fixes it no problem without question. Here is a link to a thread where some people had the problem.
http://psychobike.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=6;t=56499

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So now you know I was not making it up...I'm not a dragger, so does not matter.

Reactions: redline659

·
Registered
819 Posts
HAHAHAHAH,,, there wont be a recall,,, but they are having some issues with them and dont even ask a question if one comes in trashed.

I will have to post a picture of what ends up in your oil pan.........

Mine snapped off, took out the oil pump gear. The oil pump gear took out the trans,,, and with the loss of oil pressure took out all the rod bearings and crank,,, heheheh:thumbsup::lol:

Oh yea it had 900 miles on the clock hahahahhahahaha

·
Registered
973 Posts
not...

HAHAHAHAH,,, there wont be a recall,,, but they are having some issues with them and dont even ask a question if one comes in trashed.

I will have to post a picture of what ends up in your oil pan.........

Mine snapped off, took out the oil pump gear. The oil pump gear took out the trans,,, and with the loss of oil pressure took out all the rod bearings and crank,,, heheheh:thumbsup::lol:

Oh yea it had 900 miles on the clock hahahahhahahaha
getting your post....you're joking right?

·
Registered
819 Posts
No,

I am not joking,, One thing I must explain to you,, is that, if something stops working in these motors, everything else stops working because its all in a constant mesh. Hence you kill one part everything else dies.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
So if I go to my Kawi dealer and say I want a replacement clutch basket. Will they do it for free? Or does it have to fail first?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts