Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions that i hope some one can help me out with. I have. 2006 zx10 and when i bought it last year never really planned on doing anythin to it beside change the exhaust to clean up the rear a lil bit. Well i installed a comp werkes go exhaust on it land love the way it looks and also put a pc3. Now a bunch of people around town are starting to buy liter bikes and well i just wanna help wake mine up a little more. Ive been using the search alot and still need a little clarification and peace of mind on a couple things... I want to gut the cats but will only do it if it wont harm the bike like the exhaust valves and if there is performance to be gained by doing so. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Also im thinking about changing the air filter to a bmc street filter because i live in texas and theres alot of fine dirt around here. The last thing is removing the secondary butterflies. Would all these mods help me out or is there one thats not even worth it? Ive search for the top 10 mods and found a link but doesnt bring anything else up. I wont really be messing too much with the motor until next year so any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a couple questions that i hope some one can help me out with. I have. 2006 zx10 and when i bought it last year never really planned on doing anythin to it beside change the exhaust to clean up the rear a lil bit. Well i installed a comp werkes go exhaust on it land love the way it looks and also put a pc3. Now a bunch of people around town are starting to buy liter bikes and well i just wanna help wake mine up a little more. Ive been using the search alot and still need a little clarification and peace of mind on a couple things... I want to gut the cats but will only do it if it wont harm the bike like the exhaust valves and if there is performance to be gained by doing so. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Also im thinking about changing the air filter to a bmc street filter because i live in texas and theres alot of fine dirt around here. The last thing is removing the secondary butterflies. Would all these mods help me out or is there one thats not even worth it? Ive search for the top 10 mods and found a link but doesnt bring anything else up. I wont really be messing too much with the motor until next year so any help or advice is appreciated.

They should help you out if your looking a few x-tra HP`s, but after riding the 10 awhile you`ll know more where you want to make more gains..

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
If you want to really wake your bike up the two easiest and cheapest things to do are a -1+2 sprocket setup, and riflemans 1/5 throttle insert...less than $100 for both, and your bike will feel like a missile compared to what it already feels like!

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
If you want to really wake your bike up the two easiest and cheapest things to do are a -1+2 sprocket setup, and riflemans 1/5 throttle insert...less than $100 for both, and your bike will feel like a missile compared to what it already feels like!
:+1: as far as gutting the cat dont waste yr money on the delkelvic just take ura off and gut it with a flathead and a hammer. Its the same thing. I haven't done the butterflies yet but plan to give it a go when I get home from my honeymoon, but have heard that it gives more low and grunt when u remove them

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
:+1: as far as gutting the cat dont waste yr money on the delkelvic just take ura off and gut it with a flathead and a hammer. Its the same thing. I haven't done the butterflies yet but plan to give it a go when I get home from my honeymoon, but have heard that it gives more low and grunt when u remove them
Yup, what he said^^^

Kneedraggers.com has awesome prices on sprockets, and PM rifleman for his 1/5 insert, it's $25...I guaruntee that 99% of members here will agree that these aare the tow easiest, cheapest mods, and will make the biggest performance differences on your bike...Even if the Dyno says otherwise, your human "Butt Dyno" will let you know you made a good choice!

·
Registered
774 Posts
+1 on the riflemans 1/5 insert.
i did -1, +1 (which is the stock rear g3 sprocket so it's easy to find cheap)
bike hits hard in top gear around 70 on up. but otoh it now tops out at 155:dontknow:

where in texass you at op? i'm in h-town

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Filthy u've got more top end than that lol im at -2,+2 and I top at 161

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Biggest things to make it go faster? You want straight line or twisties?

1/5 Throttle and Sprockets first

Cheapest thing you can do, adjust your suspension. If it reacts to how you want it to, and predictably, you will be WAY faster because youll have the confidence on the bike. This in conjuction with tires.
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109407

You may or may not need new springs for it depending on your weight, but you can adjust the sag, comp and rebound settings to make it feel that much better.

And the most time consuming and potentially most expensive (or least expensive) learn how to ride it and use the power of the bike and know what it will do under conditions that involve pushing it.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
-1/+2 sprockets like mentioned, Riflemans 1/5th throttle insert, catless mid pipe, get a RACE filter if you have a PC3..like a PiperCross RACE filter. It WILL filter out the dust and sand because it uses a dual stage filtration and STICKY oil on filter, trust me.
And YANK OUT THE SECONDARY Butterflies.
This is all you need to do to make your bike transform into a beast. Acceleration and low end grunt will drastically improve. Top speed with -1/+2 is close to 170 mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry i have not been on here to check back, its been a real busy weekend. Well yeah to answer some of the questions.. I want to beat most of the bikes in a straight line. I'm just a little north of amarillo, tx. I think i know what i am going to do. Im going to try to do one at a time and post a review of how the bike feels in case someone else has been thinking about some of these mods aswell. I'll be doing these in order. First the easy free ones starting with gutting the cat, then removing the secondary butterflies. Next ill do the air filter and order the 1/5 throttle insert. Last if its not enough but i'm sure it will be ill do the gearing change. Thanks for the help. I'll do my best to post the reviews, i dont know if i will make a new post or just keep this one going.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Filthy u've got more top end than that lol im at -2,+2 and I top at 161
according to what, speedo? my sppedo read 174 but it's actually 155 or so.

another great mod is the nissin calipers and mc from a zx14 or 6

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
According to mine and various others speedos with a Speedo healer and gearing commander.com I have waaaay more gear than u do if that's ur setup so it wouldn't make sense for u to drop that much mph on that light of a gear swap

Yes 14 calipers are tits I just put mine on and 2 fingers like everyone told me

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Sorry i have not been on here to check back, its been a real busy weekend. Well yeah to answer some of the questions.. I want to beat most of the bikes in a straight line. I'm just a little north of amarillo, tx. I think i know what i am going to do. Im going to try to do one at a time and post a review of how the bike feels in case someone else has been thinking about some of these mods aswell. I'll be doing these in order. First the easy free ones starting with gutting the cat, then removing the secondary butterflies. Next ill do the air filter and order the 1/5 throttle insert. Last if its not enough but i'm sure it will be ill do the gearing change. Thanks for the help. I'll do my best to post the reviews, i dont know if i will make a new post or just keep this one going.
it won't be enough without gearing MUAHAHAHAHA

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Its more responsive when u put it on and makes it easier to hit. WOT without ur elbow pointing to the ground. Try it and see what all the fuss is abt, its one of those set it and forget it mods :lol:

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Why do people keep recommending a 1/5 throttle? It doesn't make the bike any faster.
Because starting off with your elbow on your helmet is a PITA and only having to move your arm slightly to get wrist to get WFO is a big plus.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts