Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd irritating noise, when the bike is warm, and your coming up to a stop, after pulling the clutch in, there is a cyclic squeak, which slows down as you come to a stop- while sitting there in gear, clutch in, no noise at all- acclerate and disengage clutch, noise is gone-
If your warm, and stopped in a parking lot, and engage gear with clutch engaged, you can hear it squeak, just shortly as the bike goes into gear, if you walk the bike forward you can hear a rotational squeak- its like a bent rotor squeak, but its not the braking system that is doing it- any one else have this noise, or has someone had it, and gotten rid of it- thanks

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Odd irritating noise, when the bike is warm, and your coming up to a stop, after pulling the clutch in, there is a cyclic squeak, which slows down as you come to a stop- while sitting there in gear, clutch in, no noise at all- acclerate and disengage clutch, noise is gone-
If your warm, and stopped in a parking lot, and engage gear with clutch engaged, you can hear it squeak, just shortly as the bike goes into gear, if you walk the bike forward you can hear a rotational squeak- its like a bent rotor squeak, but its not the braking system that is doing it- any one else have this noise, or has someone had it, and gotten rid of it- thanks
When I had a sqeaking in my clutch.
I replaced the rod that goes down thru the clutch case and the push rod
and bearing.
No more squeaking.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,561 Posts
If it's cyclic and speeds up or slows down with the wheel speed, that leads me to beleive it's most likely one of your bolts backing out of the clutch basket and scoring the inside of your case. Do NOT ride it any longer until you figure out what the cause is. If there's anything grinding on the case, it's putting metal shavings into your clutch and oil and if it's a bolt, then the possibly of the basket coming apart and grenading the entire motor is highly likely.

If it was the actuator rod like HR suggests, I think it would make the noise when the clutch is actuated and not speed dependent.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
If it's cyclic and speeds up or slows down with the wheel speed, that leads me to beleive it's most likely one of your bolts backing out of the clutch basket and scoring the inside of your case. Do NOT ride it any longer until you figure out what the cause is. If there's anything grinding on the case, it's putting metal shavings into your clutch and oil and if it's a bolt, then the possibly of the basket coming apart and grenading the entire motor is highly likely.

If it was the actuator rod like HR suggests, I think it would make the noise when the clutch is actuated and not speed dependent.
:+1: That or pull off your front sprocket cover and make sure the sprocket nut hasn't come loose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the suggestions

I appreciate the responses- this noise has been there for 9000 miles, so it isnt a bolt backing out, putting shavings into the oil, ect- but appreciate the concern, it also isnt the counter shaft sprocket as the noise would be there all the time, besides I have been behind that cover several times, and everything is looking fine- I think the best suggestion is the clutch rod/bearing and spring- it is pretty much where the noise is coming from, and somehow it has/is worn and when stressed by the cable being actuated it is making this harmonic happen- like I said it does it when warm, first 3-4 miles through the neighborhood there is no squeak, but once up to temp, it is there-
the noise is subtle, but like most noises it bothers the pilot more than it bothers others-
I think I will order the shaft and bearing and replace it to just eliminate it as a possibility-
Was more curious if this was something that others had run into, or unique to me, ie the honda tick in cbr 1000's, or the clatter of the r6- I guess since I am lucking out with the stator problem like others has, this must be my gift of kawi ownership

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
I purchased these 3 items.
From Ron Ayers.com, they are
$76.97 + shipping

Also, Mine did not do it when cold, only when it warmed up.

LOL, I just realized I spelled squealing wrong in the pic.
D'ooh

If you have any questions about how to remove and install these parts,
you can text or call me at 228-217-7303.

Don

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts