Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my brakes on my 07 with the ZX14 calipers, and it exceeds my expectations (I already had a Brembo master, and I used HH pads). Why didn't you guys say something about this sooner:lol:

I searched regarding a similar swap for a Gen 1, and it appeared to me you could/can make the same swap, but that you will need to shim it. Did I read that correctly???

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I just did my brakes on my 07 with the ZX14 calipers, and it exceeds my expectations (I already had a Brembo master, and I used HH pads). Why didn't you guys say something about this sooner:lol:
cuz we like guinea pigs :wink:

I searched regarding a similar swap for a Gen 1, and it appeared to me you could/can make the same swap, but that you will need to shim it. Did I read that correctly???
No sir you didn't. the zx6r, zx14 and concours 14 Nissin cals are a direct bolt on with no shim required.

BD

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Your 07 is that much better after a caliper swap...Tell me it is like you just got a brand new bike...I was riding all day smiling still and it has been almost two months since my 1000RR brake swap...

I have Vesrah pads, SS Lines, and a Brembo 19x20 billet as well and it is a superb combo to have with real calipers.

I too wish people said something earlier before I got the Brembo.

BTW thanks BD for the Vesrah tip!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm searching for some zx14 calipers myself... i thought my brakes were "okay" with just SS lines on stock MC+calipers, but I did one trackday. A few sessions of braking at 125mph really fucked my brakes. So what's a good price to pay for some used ebay zx14/zx6 calipers and MC?

Also... if i get zx14 MC and calipers, what SS brake lines should i get? I think zx14 lines would be too short (cuz zx14 sits lower)? Would zx6r 07+ lines fit a zx14 MC + calipers?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm searching for some zx14 calipers myself... i thought my brakes were "okay" with just SS lines on stock MC+calipers, but I did one trackday. A few sessions of braking at 125mph really fucked my brakes. So what's a good price to pay for some used ebay zx14/zx6 calipers and MC?

Also... if i get zx14 MC and calipers, what SS brake lines should i get? I think zx14 lines would be too short (cuz zx14 sits lower)? Would zx6r 07+ lines fit a zx14 MC + calipers?
Being a little older, I have lost my patience for trying to find deals (it was more fun when I was younger, plus I had more time). So, I just had my dealer order them for me (I think a reasonable price of $199 each). I already had Spiegler lines, and they were a little tiny bit long, because the attachment point on the new calipers is a bit higher.

Good Luck, and it is REALLY worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your 07 is that much better after a caliper swap...QUOTE]

It is truly amazing to me. I have ridden the new 1098 and the new MV (both of which I think have amazing brakes), and I would put my (our) 10 in with them. I was able to move my lever in several notches and with two fingers I have to be gentle (I did several one finger stops). All street riding, but I'm sure it will be amazing on the track.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
You just did that now?? I thought you had your bike dialed in already! congrats on the upgrade, made a huuuuge imo. I used the 14 calipers too :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You just did that now?? I thought you had your bike dialed in already! congrats on the upgrade, made a huuuuge imo. I used the 14 calipers too :)
The suspension has been totally dialed in since winter (Penske/Linderman), the power since last summer (Seattle Cycle Center custom map), but I have been fighting the brakes for a year. Braided lines since day one (didn't make much difference). HH pads last summer. Still not good enough. Brembo billet radial master over the winter. Still, just wasn't great, but was a lot better. Then, in June did another trackday and wasn't happy (latter found out the line from my reservior had split and that is why the day kept getting worse....
So, finally got my calipers and it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later, Steve
BTW--- Brent and Thomas took great care of my baby.

·
Registered
523 Posts
is $300 a good price?

Also, if I get the MC, do i need the brake lever as well or will my current one work?
Hmmm not too bad considering thats $150 each caliper & you would pay lots more than that for new ones plus the brake pads still have plenty of life in them by the looks & you will really be amazed with the feel of them also

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Just recently done this mod on my 04. Used zx14 calipers with stock pads. HEL Braided lines. 08 Nissin MC. Holy shit, where has by old bike gone. This is a chalk and chees mod. I was amazed at how good the feel is as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts