head decked 13 thou
.44mill head gasket
bmc race filter
bazzaz zfi/afm with a full schnitz custom map
full micron ss system cut down can 7 inchs
emmisions removed
secondarie flies removed
down one on the countershaft

thats all for go fast mods, the bike made 160 horse and 76 ft-lbs last year with a slip on and not head/cam work. just got it tuned again on sat after head work/cams and full system it made 170 horse and 80 ft-lbs i do realize those numbers will vary with any dyno and are more of a guide line than anything but i now have a 4000 rpm flat spot in my power curve on the dyno graph and i can feel it when i ride it. im not sure what to do about this and i need some help i would really like to fix it. i was wondering if anyone else has ran into this the 3rd gen cam swap degree and deck seem to be fairly common mods. thanks for any and all help!:dontknow:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havnt ever gotten the vacuum gauges out and synced the throttle bodies all the blades move at the same time so they should be good? I should clarify things a little probably. Between 3500-5500 I lost 7 horse from last year after doing the head and cam work and putting the full micron on. afr at 4000 which seems to be the peak loss is close to 13.5.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
I havnt ever gotten the vacuum gauges out and synced the throttle bodies all the blades move at the same time so they should be good? I should clarify things a little probably. Between 3500-5500 I lost 7 horse from last year after doing the head and cam work and putting the full micron on. afr at 4000 which seems to be the peak loss is close to 13.5.
They "should" be good. But I had a wierd flat spot when I rolled on the throttle and sycing my tb's fixed that little issue. Its worth a try. As long as your af doesn't go way lean or rich in that area of your power curve that shouldn't be it I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
the deck, thin hg, and cam timing should produce stronger lowend power, the micron is known to produce good low/mid power. what stacks are u running, what stacks tuned with ? cams degreed professionally? post dyno sheet if possible. bike should be very responsive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try syncing them when I take it apart again. All the intake stacks are stock I had it tuned at schnitz in Decatur IN. I degreed the cams myself maybe that's the problem. I would post the dyno sheet but I don't have it yet he is emailing it to me. I put the intake cam in and it was right on 107. I had to move the exhaust around a lot though. Would it cause me to lose power down low if the exhaust cam were way off? I know the sheet would be much better but I rember seeing several notches in the graph hard to explain but the higher the rpm the smaller the notch, they were all spaced fairly evenly every 2000 rpm or so all the way to redline.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
if possible do a compression ck, it's a indicator of cam timing. also did u ck ptv, same reason. did ryan do throttle position tune or just some power pulls with a little tweaking up high? dyno graph will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I called Ryan wed and he said he sent me the dyno graph I still havnt gotten it I don't know what's going on. I got a chance to ride it thought today I found a new problem hard to explain but I knew what was wrong at least. Has anyone ever messed with their map sensor or atmospheric pressure sensors before? I think I need to buy a new map sensor. I think it could have effected my dyno tune. To answer gaz I didn't check ptv from what I read on the forum I thought I would be ok. Ryan did the full map on my bike last year I had just a full throttle map done.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
with no afr graph loggedyour problem is hard to determine. couple of things for sure, your powerband below 6500 is weakened with corresponding hp and torque drops in power delivery. for sure u are feeling these as they extend several hundred rpm each, especially street riding. below 6500 you appear untuned. i have a throttle position tune done with fueling mapped at 10-100% throttle increments, whacked wot at 3k, graph climbs linear all the way. unsure what tuning you are describing with wot tune, maybe mid rpm up tuning only. got same mods as u, would want mine right too. ryan great tuner, suggest talking to him being specific with concerns. if retuning $$ out of question, i would replace sec. flies and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re-installed sec flies seems to be a little different as far as low end power goes kinda like it needs more fuel now. I bought a couple of used map sensors off eBay and a map sensor test harness I think I have that problem narrowed down to a weak year old battery. When I start the bike now it seems to crank slower than last year I'm going to chalk that up to the higher compression. I am thinking about getting a ballistic lithium battery for the higher CCA. Gaz you said you had the same mods I was wondering do you have your sec flies in and do you have a tre? I didn't get time to do accomplished check I did look at vacuum while cranking it seemed to be about the same on all four cylinders.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
both flies and rods removed, no tre, and tuned that way. straightline that dip in 6-7 k range, that 5-6 hp loss there along with torque, another 3-4 loss at 9k. 4k and lower just appears untuned flies out, those upper dips should be tuning eliminated. i've also read that bazz only allows mapping every 1lk rpms compared to pc every 500, might be a factor. im fortunate to hava a great tuner 20 miles away. primarily a roadrace builder/tuner he's big on mapping at all throttle openings in lower gears for max accleration out of corners which pays off at strip too. tuned dsbats 430 hp 247mph record land speed 10 and his 217 mph record naked nitrous ten.not only do i get a dyno sheet, he discusses the graph and adresses any issues and suggests resolutions. my bikes run good for what they are, my tuner plays a significant role.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts