Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wish there was a sticky on this or perhaps there is and couldnt find it being i use my crappy android phone lol.
im going to be soon purchasing a "most likely" gen 1 zx10, i currently ride an 06 636 w nitrous, looking to upgrade to something a lil faster.
i see ppl w these bikes getting 170-180hp with mods but alotta times they dont say what mods?. i know garth knows alot about these bikes ive read many of his comments, ive been reading posts here for a long while now but just joined.

ok sorry for the rant, my queastion is; what mods should i do to this bike when i get it and what kind of power can i expect from said mods?
ive read about cams and head gaskets but not much else and also no one really says how much power it added?.

thanks for any advice guys this place seems to have the most knowledgeable people when pertaining to these bikes.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
you could always start off with the basics... full exhaust, filter, sec flies removed, all four short v stacks, pc3/tune should get you headed in the right direction. if money isnt a option thin HG, gen3 intake cam swap, port/polish head along with everything else should net you some nice gains.

·
Registered
974 Posts
you could always start off with the basics... full exhaust, filter, sec flies removed, all four short v stacks, pc3/tune should get you headed in the right direction. if money isnt a option thin HG, gen3 intake cam swap, port/polish head along with everything else should net you some nice gains.
yup +1

Said 3rd generation head is also complimenting.

Those mods sum up the mid to mild.....deeper pockets net more gains, but get exponentially expensive.

to put gains on each is tough....but as packages in doing groups of mods seems to be the typical projects.....thus netting average common HP gains.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Make sure you upgrade the springs and retainers while you're in there. These bikes respond very well to higher compression so thin HG, cams and port polish. Another option is a high velocity head.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
First thing I would buy is a good set of tires. If you want more pucker-factor, the best bang for your buck is -1 +2 gearing. Then try a 1/5 throttle insert if you really want it to command respect. Get a slip-on exhaust for sound and looks, or go full system for a few extra hp. Block the air injection when you do the exhaust. Unhook the exhaust valve in the header and remove the secondary butterflys. Thin head gasket, cam(s), valvetrain, porting, big bore, etc.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
also dont put alot into dyno numbers. mine has been on a dyno that said 155 on motor and on another that was stingy compared to other dynos and it put down 176.

mine is a head and cams bike

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
just finished gen 2 with headwork, 08 race int., stk ex., .050 hg, .015 deck, ported tb's, dyno'd 180 rwhp on 91 pump. dyno'd 164 last year. my gen 1 made 188 with almost same mods on mr12. gained some respect for 08 race int, and as quick 10 said, these bikes like compression. good budget build is race int., deck, cnc valve job, thin hg, degreed cams, and good tune. cook is right, dyno's differ, mph is the real indicator of hp. lmk if i can help.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Get the bike and start "searching" on here for how to make power. Thin HG, race intake cam, full exhaust etc. The "basics" for these bike man. Gotta get the bike first though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you guys are awesome!!!.. ok heres the plan.. thin hg .45? 08 intake cam is that a race cam or factory? all short oem stacks, 3 angle valve job? carpenter springs? and prob a slip on unless the one i get already has it, prob gear it like i did my 636 -1/+1 i dont wanna lose to much top end and w that i should still hit 170mph..lol.. of course a pc3. hope fully all this will grap an extra 10hp and put me into yhe 160hp area..lol

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
you guys are awesome!!!.. ok heres the plan.. thin hg .45? 08 intake cam is that a race cam or factory? all short oem stacks, 3 angle valve job? carpenter springs? and prob a slip on unless the one i get already has it, prob gear it like i did my 636 -1/+1 i dont wanna lose to much top end and w that i should still hit 170mph..lol.. of course a pc3. hope fully all this will grap an extra 10hp and put me into yhe 160hp area..lol
yep race cam. I chose to go with the Factory Pro stacks but that's because I wanted to fatten up my midrange a bit more :thumbsup: without changing the gearing. If you're going to put all that effort into it then you need to go ahead and do a full exhaust. Yes it will make a difference. Checkout the Kibble White springs and retainers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just had my 4th kid 7wks ago so money is a little tight and a full exhaust is crazy exp.lol do u think used would be ok? and I know this question provokes many diff answers but can u recommend an exhaust brand..lol.. Let the battle begin.lol

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
lol I picked up my full Arrow system used. No problems with sourcing used parts as long as they are in good shape.

·
Registered
691 Posts
So you live in Omaha NE? Still wont take the gen4! But when i had my gen1 put down 141 and walked away from bikes that claimed 170's. So don't put to much into dyno numbers like others said.

·
Registered
423 Posts
not to hate
but why not nitrous?
40 shot progressive kit
stock engine
pcIII
and youll be putting a whooping on most.

i mean thats good for 180-190hp right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts