Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this noise.? What it could be Usually is happening at steady cruise. 40 to 50 miles an hour. Then again at 75 to 80. Been looking at a few archive threads and some have said it could be the front sprocket? or flywheel or clutch bearing? maybe wheel bearings? I have been ignoring it but its annoying the hell out of me now.

The sound is not a constant steady noise it seems like its every other revolution at steady cruise. I pull in the clutch at cruise and it goes away.

Cruising above 80 its harder to hear but pretty loud at 75 to 80 for sure.

anyone any thoughts?

·
Registered
700 Posts
My 05 has done that since day 1 at 72MPH and i have seen a few others do it as well, Its a resonating in the transmission seems to me normal and should not cause any problems,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this noise.? What it could be Usually is happening at steady cruise. 40 to 50 miles an hour. Then again at 75 to 80. Been looking at a few archive threads and some have said it could be the front sprocket? or flywheel or clutch bearing? maybe wheel bearings? I have been ignoring it but its annoying the hell out of me now.

The sound is not a constant steady noise it seems like its every other revolution at steady cruise. I pull in the clutch at cruise and it goes away.

Cruising above 80 its harder to hear but pretty loud at 75 to 80 for sure.

anyone any thoughts?
I have this same issue on my 2007.

The noise is kind of like a turbine or whirrr noise and seems to be loudest at a steady pace when throttle is required to maintain speed.

It is definatley a drive train or trans noise. Very annoying.

I used to only hear it when on steep moutain grades with a passenger but now it happens alot with 25k miles.

I recently changed my sprockets to -1 + 1 and it is more noticable now. It is almost a harmonic noise at 80 mph.

No loss in performance however. I have to resolve it but am not sure where to start.

·
Registered
700 Posts
on my 05, I did a complete rebuild at 3k miles and it was there before and after and everything in the trans was to spec. Its just nature of the beast. I'm sure what the OP and mine are doing is the same thing.

I'm not so sure bhoffco has the same problem that sounds more like a worn chain. Did you replace the chain with the sprockets?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
on my 05, I did a complete rebuild at 3k miles and it was there before and after and everything in the trans was to spec. Its just nature of the beast. I'm sure what the OP and mine are doing is the same thing.

I'm not so sure bhoffco has the same problem that sounds more like a worn chain. Did you replace the chain with the sprockets?
Another thing it could be for bhoffco is the front sprocket. Depends on what brand. I just threw a 16T Renthal on mine and it makes a bit more of a pronounced noise.

My 05 makes the same sound you guys hear too. Almost sounds like a combination of what you would imagine the chain sounds like spinning at high speed and a forced induction motor. I think its the trans and the ram air.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My 05 makes the exact same noise, if she's running good I wouldn't even worry about it. My 600rr made a very similar noise as well.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My 04 too I drives my crazy I keep thinking my motor is hurt.

·
Registered
19 Posts

The chain was replaced along with the sprockets. I also thought the chain could be too tight but it is adjusted properly.

I am pretty sure it is being caused by something spinning. Probably a bushing or bearing somewhere.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine makes a sound sort of like you're talking about, I've found out to actually my key in the ignition rattling. When I put my hand in the key while riding and sort of push down a bit it stops making the sound. Super annoying too.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine does this and a lot of other sounds... knocks...
Once for all I quit to try to found and solve that stuff it is the ZX-10R! :welcome:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts