Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a -1,+1 and a 520 chain and now I have a whining noise right around 60 mph. Could this possibly be because of the smaller front sprocket? Has anyone heard of this before?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sometimes whinning is caused by a frozen link or misaligned front and rear sprockets. Mine whined but because of cheap sprockets that werent true. Holes for the rear sprocket was slightly off. Send it back to get tested and they gave me a new one.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
If you're coming from stock sprockets, you'll hear a whining/buzzing because the stock from sprocket has a rubber cushion that acts like a sound dampener.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
It is completely normal to hear a whine noise. The stock front sprocket has a rubber damper built into it and aftermarket do not.
Many purchased an OEM Z1000 front sprocket for this reason. Has the rubber damper to eliminate the whine and vibration. Just watch as some years Z1000 are 15t and some are 16T so order the one you want.
Dont send your shit back and say " my shit whines" lol. They will laugh at you...horrible advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool, thanks so much! I figured it was something with the front sprocket but I had no idea the stock ones have a rubber damper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine turned out to be offset and was confirmed when they compared it to their jig. This also lead to the inconsistencies of my chain tension. Varied by about half an inch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts