Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Gen 1 mounted in a car with a turbo on it, and the alternator seized and took out the cases.
I'm thinking about going to a Gen 2 motor, but I've made quite a few custom pieces for the turbo and to mount in the car. Can someone tell me if there are any major differences in the following parts?

1. Exhaust outlet locations/spacing
2. Oil pan mounting to block (don't really care about the oil pan or pickup)
3. Output shaft height/ depth

Thanks guys, much appreciated

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sorry I'm no help with your questions. But please post up pictures of this build

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
ex spacing/location are identical, output shaft same, oil pan is different design between gen1/gen 2 with oil cooler removed and different bolt spacing, will have to mod gen 2 pan to ur current gen 1 specs. gen 2 speed sensor moved to top of bottom cases from gen 1 sprocket cover, simple rewire to work. i like the gen 2 engine power delivery/torque with its heavier crank/smaller int valves, work well turbo'd.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
:goodpost:

As always, great info.

BTW, that car looks awesome man... never did get to see it with the body on it. :ayyy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ex spacing/location are identical, output shaft same, oil pan is different design between gen1/gen 2 with oil cooler removed and different bolt spacing, will have to mod gen 2 pan to ur current gen 1 specs. gen 2 speed sensor moved to top of bottom case from gen 1 sprocket cover, simple rewire to work. i like the gen 2 engine power delivery/torque with its heavier crank/smaller int valves, work well turbo'd.
Awesome info, thanks.

The speed sensor will allow me to actually use it. I have a driveshaft adapter on, so can't use the sprocket cover

Any idea if the lower rear engine mount is similar?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Awesome info, thanks.

The speed sensor will allow me to actually use it. I have a driveshaft adapter on, so can't use the sprocket cover
Speed based boost control could be in your future in that case... if you wanted to do it. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I run a dwarf car and have had Gen1, Gen2 and now a Gen4. As far as using these engines in a car the Gen1 had the best power delivery for our 1000 lb car. Gen1's still have great success, Gen2's are a close 2nd. Have not run a Gen 3, but from what I can tell it is the best package for a car. So far, I don't like the Gen4. No Bottom end, but great top end. For circle track racing it has not been great. We have won some races and finished well in National races, but I'm just not there yet.
Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I run a dwarf car and have had Gen1, Gen2 and now a Gen4. As far as using these engines in a car the Gen1 had the best power delivery for our 1000 lb car. Gen1's still have great success, Gen2's are a close 2nd. Have not run a Gen 3, but from what I can tell it is the best package for a car. So far, I don't like the Gen4. No Bottom end, but great top end. For circle track racing it has not been great. We have won some races and finished well in National races, but I'm just not there yet.
Randy
With the turbo on ours, the torque from 7k upwards is fantastic. I would like to keep the 1st Gen, but parts seem to be a little harder to get, and the stupid high speed alternator scares me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts