Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bent the brake lever on my gen 1, and ordered a replacement directly from vortex. The bike came with the rear sets so I don't know what kind of directions I would undo to get the peg off. The lever rotates freely around the peg when the bolt is removed. My question is, what's the easiest way to get the brake lever off of the peg? I've tried a few things but no success.

See pic for detail
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
take the rear set off, it probably has a bolt or screw holding it to the bracket on the back. Ski

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does but the bolt just secures the bracket to the peg. The lever and peg are what's together and I can't separate. The peg and lever are connected with bearings in between.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Never had vortex, but there should be a bolt screwed into the foot peg. That bolt goes through the mounting bracket, then a bearing on the lever and into the peg to hold it all together... It should just fall apart after you remove it

I can't tell by your last post if you removed that bolt and it's still stuck together? Id probably put the peg in a vice and hit it if that's the case.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never had vortex, but there should be a bolt screwed into the foot peg. That bolt goes through the mounting bracket, then a bearing on the lever and into the peg to hold it all together... It should just fall apart after you remove it

I can't tell by your last post if you removed that bolt and it's still stuck together? Id probably put the peg in a vice and hit it if that's the case.
It's def. not falling apart. I removed the bolt and everything I just posted a pic of the whole assembly. I'll try clamping it and giving it some force. I was thinking I could tap it out with a screwdriver in the bolt hole but that wasn't working and I didn't want to break anything, so I stopped before I got too frustrated and would for sure break something.

Thanks for the help I'll try it this evening.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tried everything listed above, and then some, to try to get the damn peg and lever separated. None of them worked. It's like I have to have a bearing press or some kind of extreme concentrated force tool to get it to pop. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my rear set. I have the same set installed on my bike.

It comes on off easily, the problem is when it gets bent it kind of jams in there. I ended up getting a new peg and lever.
To get it out I put it in a vise and had to force it out. Broke the inner bearings in the process. Thus why I had to order both.

As long as its all still straight it comes on and off very easily. Only thing holding it is the 1 bolt in the back.

Not sure how the lever was bent since I bought the bike that way.

There might be something else going on for you but in my case this is what happened.
You might just have to ruin the peg and lever in the process like me.

Not sure how helpful this is..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts